What next for the App Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Parky, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Parky macrumors regular

I know we are all focusing on the Apple App Store specifically for the iPhone, but what if its scope is wider than we think.

The delivery process and DRM can be used in iTunes for users to buy Mac and PC software just as easily as iPhone software.

What market opportunites are there for Apple if they open the iTunes App Store for Mac / PC software developers to sell thier applications. It could be a great distribution channel and would generate even more cash for Apple.

They could apply the same deal that they offer for iPhone Apps, Free or 30/70 split. Imagine buying games, widgets and any other app in iTunes.

I think it is the next logical step and could be a huge revenue stream for Apple.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And iWeb templates, Garage Band Loops, new OS releases, utilities, basically anything you can think of that is deliverable digitally that is Mac-applicable. Something to entice a few more Windows users to cross over...

Oh, yeah, The App Store could be a much larger system than we see it now (kinda like iTMS grew to more than just music rapidly).

3. Parky thread starter macrumors regular

It is not Mac only software, as iTunes is also available on Windows. Apple could sell any software that is for Mac or PC.