Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nalmond92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
UK
Now that the iPad air is lighter, thiner and faster and is almost perfect in terms of these things.

What do you people think apple can now do to make the next generation of iPads better/different than just spec updates?

They have shown that they are not too interested at keeping the camera on par with that of the iPhone. Besides adding touch ID, switching to IGZO display tech and laminating the display together to make it thinner yet again, I honestly can't think what else they could do in terms of new hardware features that could warrant a desire to upgrade again.

Would love to here ideas for what you think apple could do next outside of thinner, lighter, faster chip etc.

Count Blah

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004
US of A
Honestly, 2 gigs of RAM is all they need to sell the next version. A modest CPU upgrade with additional RAM will be all that's needed. Some software enhancements that the current gen can't perform will also be employed somehow.

Last edited:

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
TouchID, better cameras, IGZO display, inductive charging, 802.11ac, higher screen resolution, more ram, thinner, lighter, camera flash, USB3.0 support.....

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
I think being able to run apps side by side would be neat, if implemented correctly. Dragging and dropping content from one app from another would be really helpful, and also would love to be able to watch a video and browse the web at the same time.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Honestly, 2 gigs of RAM is all they need to sell the next version. A modest CPU upgrade with additional RAM will be all that's needed. Soda software enhancements that the current gen can't perform will also be employed somehow.

LOL if they announce the next iPad and say it just has 2GB of RAM this forum will implode.

Apple66

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2011
Boston, USA
The next logical upgrade might be incorporating the new Gorilla Glass (announced few months ago), which Apple might use in the next models, to assist in reducing glare where the idea is embedding it seamlessly to the Multi-Touch display.

That would be very useful for reading and browsing outside.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Front facing speakers

Where?

In the bezel that will get even thinner?

----------

Exactly!

It always amazes me when people think that a current is the best it can get.

In 5 years we'll laugh at the current retina Mini and at the iPad Air. People have to open their mind a bit......apple will think of things to add.

politicsoffear

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2010
My crazy prediction is a 12.9 inch iPad Pro with an A8X chip/2GB RAM that will allow 2 apps to run on screen at the same time with a touch cover like keyboard or keyboard dock. For some reason I want this to happen but I don't know why. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.