what next?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by eleven59, Nov 15, 2008.

1. eleven59 macrumors regular

eleven59

i have an atv, and imac with external hd. I have been using HB on all my dvds so that i can store them on the ext hd, and watch on atv..

i hear even the older minis are good for media servers, but it looks as though i shouldnt have gotten the atv if i was to go that route... i do hear of some using both but i dont know how/what/why

any reason to still get a mini for such media server purposes? even if they arent updated or killed off... ? what i have now works so its no rush or even neccesary, tho having something dedicated to just playback and downloading so im not having to do that on the main comp would be extra nice.. and i could always watch streaming internet feeds on the tv with a mini i suppose...

could just get a mini and sell the atv?

i just really dont want to have to use a keyboard AND mouse, have to turn on the mini, run itunes/frontrow, turn on the external & tv; then do it all in reverse just to walk out the door.... sounds like waaay to many steps just to watch a movie or tv show...

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I think you're putting the cart before the horse. First you should figure our what you want to achieve, and only after that can you figure out how best to achieve it. This applies to everything in life not just tech. It's kind of like trying to decide which college classes to take next even though you haven't picked a major yet (or haven't yet decided to take a diversity of courses to sample). The right class to take will all depend on what your major is.

3. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

get boxee on your atv - no need for a mini (too many cooks in the kitchen)