What Nintendo should do

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Ariii, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Ariii, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

I think that Nintendo should rerelease the GameBoy Original and Color. A lot of people still sell them on eBay and stuff, and they could make a lot of the things cheaper now. Actually, Nintendo makes money already off of selling those games, so it could work.

UPDATE: Sorry for seeming sort of stupid. I meant that it would be cool if they did that, not that they should. Oh! I wonder what it would be like if they made a computer!

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I think Nintendo would be better served going the way of Sega and becoming a software company. Their software IP is worth a ton, more so than Sega imo. Their hardware thus far has been lackluster, the Wii U is basically "Welcome to 2006", the 3DS wouldn't be selling as well as it is now if they had released MK7 on the full DS platform rather than forcing the 3DS etc etc.

Their hardware is stale at best, its outdated before it even arrives, and they could make much more imo by selling their software IP and forgetting about the hardware. Save the money on hardware R&D, launches, advertising and focus on the one thing they have always done right, software.

I have to think it has to be something in the back of their minds, I don't see the Wii U having anywhere near the same momentum as the Wii. If that happens I can't help but wonder if they will give up the hardware and strictly start selling software.

3. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I dont see why Nintendo has to do anything differently. All the mistakes they made last year they learned from, the 3ds has now broken sales records, and plenty of developers are eager to develop for the WII U. They're gonna be fine and don't need a new strategy.

4. MRU, Feb 2, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2012

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Unless Nintendo post for a second year running a significant loss in annual revenue, they won't do a thing differently....

The wii was a great success in hardware sales, but software wise it has the lowest attachment rate of any of the consoles. People fell in love with the Wii hardware promise, other than the notable first party titles, the saturation of crapware and shovelware has damaged Nintendos reputation and I don't think people are going to rush out in the masses lto purchase a WiiU like they did for the wii.

The Wii U has a lot to do, and more importantly it has to get 3rd party big name AAA game parity. I think for a while the uptake is going to be modest for the Wii U.

Historically...

Also being first out te door with your next gen console has NEVER proven to make you the biggest seller that generation. Something Sega and Microsoft can tell you. It's usually the 'next' hardware release that is the big seller, it's like the first hardware on the block wets people's appetites, but the next release is what people rush to the fridge to quench their gaming thirsts for.

If anything it's going to be interesting to watch. I know many casual players who bought the Wii for Wii Sports or Wii Fit and that remained the only game they ever picked up. These are people who this time round are not likely to pick up a Wii U at all. The Wii U has mountains to climb this time round, and I can not feasibly see at the moment it reaching the heights of hardware sale success as the Wii did.

Mostly because we know little about it, other than the gimmicky fisher price tablet.

Many of us avid gamers here, who are usually the first to buy hardware out of the gate, are on a i'm waiting this one out tip also. This is not good for start for new hardware sales when early adopters who were burned by the Wii promise are skipping the Wii U release already and it's still 10 months away from launch. For that reason it's entirely possible Nintendo may indeed posts a record second year loss this financial year, 2013 will then be make or break.

E3 will be interesting. Microsoft could steal the thunder from the Wii U, if it demos hardware & software that makes the wii U look as last gen as the wii is to the ps3 & Xbox 360.

If the Wii U isn't the success Nintendo hopes, then I do see them maybe eventually going the way of Sega. Everyone wants to play Zelda and Mario, it's just a case that a lot of us would rather not do so on Nintendo hardware anymore.

Imagine Zelda or Mario game on the PS Vita, I'm sure it would be significantly better looking and dare say more innovative with all the touch controls than the 3DS can do justice to.

We will see....

5. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

It would be wicked awesome if I could buy Mario and Zelda games for the PS3! :D

Love the IP's, but haven't owned a Nintendo console since the SNES, mainly because I hated the controllers. I would probably love Mario Galaxy and such, if it didn't force me to waggle. Release those games on PS360, and they will sell MILLIONS!

In regards to the actual topic, they would probably sell a lot of gameboys if they re-released them for a very low price!

6. TurboMoses macrumors member

TurboMoses

I just pray their next console doesn't have embarrassingly bad online support.

7. cirus macrumors 6502a

The xbox 720 (the one that microsoft will release in 2013 will use [note that this is a predicted rumour] ) will use the AMD 6670 graphics card. The wii U will use a card in the 48xx series. The two cards will be roughly equal in power (+/- 50%). Of couse the 6670 is only a rumour but it so far seems to be a legitimate one. Of couse the Wii U will have two screens to deal with.

Not to mention that the Wii U will be released about a year before the xbox 720. That is a lot of time to sell your console even if the next generation is slightly better.

Many big name game designers have announced support for the wii U there will be batman arkham city, battlefield, assassians creed, etc (many AAA companies).

Also, watch one of Nintendo's concept videos. There's quite a bit of stuff they can do with it.

The first xbox and ps3 games were great (graphically wise) but they are certaintly much better now than then.

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No it's not a legitimate one.

There is no such thing as a legitimate rumor. For something to be legitimate it has to be based on fact. With a console release Q3/4 2013 tying the hardware down at this stage is utter bs. Even the wii u's specs are constant flux according to developers, so how on earth do you think that the 6670 rumor can have any real veracity.

Even if it's in the early dev kits, that means very little as these change too. The likelihood is that the 360's successor will use a custom chip from ATI that is not even in production as yet, and further to that won't be in production until 3-6 months or so prior to console launch, as was the case of the 360.

The 360's power mac G5 dev kits were dual processor and with an x800, finished product was a triple core g5 (which never came to powermacs) with a variant on the X1800/1850 which when dev kits were released did not even exist.

So in fairness you should take your legitimate back to the shop and ask for a refund under the false claims / trade description act

;)

9. cirus macrumors 6502a

There are degrees to rumours. Some are from better sources than others. I did mention this is rumour and specifically stated so.

Note the use of the qualifier 'seems' --it denotes a possibility.

I did not make any true statements, only predictions based on the information available to me.

P.S. The domain of this site is Macrumours.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

According to the internet Nintendo and PC gaming are doomed. Those millions of sales for recent releases are pity sales.

A re-released GB? Nah. If anything they could do a console-on-a-chip systems like what the Mega Drive has, but I can't imagine a company like Nintendo resorting to that.

11. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

I think OP is absolutely right. Everything needs to go back to it's roots.

[​IMG]

A GameBoy Color re-release would be epic. Especially if it had some new update with modern times. I feel sorry for the younger kids nowadays. All they have is touch screen phones.

And why not? They're cheaper to make and would have mindblowing sales. Public nostalgia is a cash cow.

12. TurboMoses macrumors member

TurboMoses

Although I will admit, nintendo LOVES making people buy things multiple times.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yeah, like releasing accessories to make games backwards compatible preventing repurchases (GBA-GC, GB and GBC- SNES, 100% GC compatibility on Wii (apart from those recent redesigned ones)). They also sell virtual console games.

It's not like Sony are guilt-free either; charging for a demo of Gran Turismo and Dissidia 012, charging for the ability to play some demos before their public release, not allowing users to personally backup some data unless they have a Plus account, selling the ability to play second hand games online, selling virtual clothes and themes, selling "virtual console" games.

And Microsoft; charging for what others give away for free (online P2P multiplayers), charging for access to Facebook, Youtube and Twitter, selling virtual clothes and themes, selling "virtual console" games.

14. TurboMoses macrumors member

TurboMoses

Yeah, not saying other publishers are innocent. It's obviously a profitable practice, but nintendo certainly has the longest history of it. Especially with their accessories. The only accessory I thought was worth it was the Expansion pack for the N64. Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask are reason enough (And hey, DK64 was good at the time!)

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You weren't around for the Commodore/Amiga/Atari days were you :p.

16. TurboMoses macrumors member

TurboMoses

Nope, my dad was playing Tetris on the NES before I could talk.

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You make me feel very old....

18. TwinMonkeys macrumors member

I loved the potential of the Nintendo Wii and wanted to buy one right away, not this. The Wii U concept looks like it will be used in nice ways in certain games, but will be a complete gimmick in most games. Two screens works ok for certain party games, that might be fun, but I'd think that most people game by themselves much of the time and would rather emphasize online support. I think that Nintendo is awesome at what they do (and arguably one of the smartest companies next to Apple) but I don't really see the Wii U taking off in the same way that the Wii did.

Also, with the iPad's potential for two screen gaming in the living room stealing some of the Wii U's thunder for casual gaming, I'm not sure that this will work out for them.