What? No Japanese app?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by rickmystic, Dec 30, 2013.

1. rickmystic macrumors newbie

Very shocked that Apple put a Korean app for AppleTV that not only shows movies but has live streaming TV. So where is the Japanese app???????
    There are many that pay $24.95 to cable TV for NHK premium and have no other choice unless you live in San Fran or LA.

2. kemperman macrumors regular

kemperman

There aren't any other country specific apps, why Japanese? I would really like a BBC iPlayer app and some other UK specific ones but I'm being patient and I suggest you do the same! :)

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Because all the content on Apple TV has to be negotiated.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Do you know for certain that NHK App even exists? Did NHK build on? Did Apple build one? Has Apple been given permission to use said App on the AppleTV? You realize these Apps just don't materialize out of thin air right? And you realize their a contract negotiations on how an App can even be used (for example the Disney Apps require you to have one of like 6 cable providers).

I'm sure Apple is doing this to you specifically.....

5. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

There might be something to the negotiations with content providers in certain countries. Hulu has a lot of Korean content, Japanese content seems to be limited to anime.

Apple TV did add CrunchyRoll which has some good Japanese content. I watching ハクバノ王子サマ 純愛適齢期, which is current right now in Japan.

It would be nice to get NHK for daily stuff, or even the new years specials.

6. cynics, Dec 31, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013

cynics macrumors G3

What? No Japanese app?

Crunchyroll has drama and anime Japanese content (might not interest you however) which there is an app for. A lot of simulcast so episodes come out with hours of airing.

Huluplus has some stuff too.

Do you have an iPhone/iPad? Can you get the content you are looking for on that? If both answers are yes then mirror the device.

7. rickmystic thread starter macrumors newbie

Fairness

I don't think it was right to go all out creating a full blown app with live steaming TV in HD for Koreans. Why not do the same for Spanish, German, Chinese, Russian etc. Take a look at the Korean app. The video quality of live TV streams exceeds cable TV service. Oh well, sooner or later they'll get other languages going. One thing is good for sure, the cost of subscribing to a premium live broadcast varies only from $2 to $3 per month on the Korean app. Compare that to your cable's $14.99 to $24.99 per month. Again, I ask you to look at one of the live TV broadcasts on the Korean app. The quality will blow you away........

8. cynics macrumors G3

Apple creates the ATV app not the content or quality. What Japanese broadcast streams content like KorTV? Especially considering the amount of Japanese and other foreign language speaking content via Netflix, HuluPlus, and Crunchyroll (albeit not news). AND Apple giving the ability to mirror content.

I don't get the "I don't think it's right" like you have something against KorTV instead of a Japanese broadcast company not using AppleTV as one of their streaming sources.

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

I get it...and it amuses me. An interesting manifestation of that particular cultural rivalry.

10. rickmystic thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry but if you really read my post I mentioned all languages and had mentioned Spanish, Chinese, Russian etc........................

11. cynics macrumors G3

Ok, ignore I said Japanese an insert any language there.

You're looking at this the wrong way I believe.

You are mad at Apple that Mexico/Spain, China, Russia, etc don't have a channel for AppleTV.

But they could just as Korean has with KorTV there could be SpanTV, ChinTV, RusTV, etc....

Apple shows them NOT produces them. Unless you are expecting Apple to goto <insert country here>, buy/build a network, hire hundreds of employees, gets the news and produce other content it, broadcast it, make a streaming version for ATV, etc etc.

EVERY channel on AppleTV is a channel that exist else where like Netflix, YouTube etc. AppleTV is just relaying the info. If Russia (for example) doesn't have a streaming source for news etc then Apple can't exactly broadcast it now can they?

Make sense? I don't mean to make that sound like I was dumbing it down but I think we are operating on two different wavelengths... :)