What not to do when installing an Optibay - stripped screws

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Echnin, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Echnin macrumors newbie

Today I received my Optibay-clone and hard drive, and tried to install it. Unfortunately, I messed it up and don't think I can finish the job now. Using driver bits supplied by ifixit, I managed to ruin the screws in step 10 of this guide: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/...ody-Mid-2010-Optical-Drive-Replacement/3074/4

Tight, tiny screws are the bane of my existence. I don't understand what on earth I was supposed to do to remove these particular screws, when all the other screws in the computer didn't pose a problem at all. See awesome attached pics of mutilated screw, and the 10 or so different Phillips screwdrivers, none of which managed to do the job.

So, am I completely screwed, or does someone out there have a magnificent suggestion to aid me in my plight?

Attached Files:

2. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

You are going to need to find an "ezout" small enough to extract that screw. Your other option is to get a dremel tool with a flex tips, and use a cut-off wheel to slice a deep enough slot in that screw to use a larger screw driver to remove it.

You may want to consider talking to one of two folks, a local electronic repair shop or possibly a jeweler. These types of folks deal with small screws on a regular basis. The electrical repair shop may be your best bet.

3. warrena macrumors member

warrena

Agree with the above post on the ezout or dremel method - one note of caution, if you use a dremel to cut a slot, cover everything so you do not get any metal filings in the inside of the MBP. I have a very small set of needle nose vice-grips that will sometimes grip the outside of the screw and allow it to be turned to get it started. If you can get it out you will need to replace it or cut a slot in it and use a common slot head to reinstall.

As noted above, ff you don't have the correct tools to get it out, take it to someone who can get it out without damaging anything else.

4. Echnin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice! I did read about the dremel method when googling for answers, but didn't know that it was advisable to do on computers. I'll be going on vacation tomorrow, but when I'm back I'll just ask for some professional help.

Anyway, I hope others will learn from my mistake and be more careful when installing their optical bay replacements.

5. bob5820 macrumors 6502a

bob5820

I don't think your going to find an ezout that small. Without some prior practice an Ezout might make the situation worse. Your best bet is finding a watch repair shop willing to give it a try.

6. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

a square bit, the tip is square shaped.. that might work if you still have the problem.

7. Echnin thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I just got this problem solved yesterday. I'm in Beijing now, and so it was only a matter of taking it to Zhongguancun and asking around until I found a guy who said he could do it. He used a screwdriver which I couldn't really discern the shape of and got the screws out with little effort.

Side story: I got a bit nervous when he his assistant took the computer, back cover off, through the streets and to another building, but everything worked in the end. He charged me a lot more than expected (100 RMB), but at the end of the hour or so it all took I was too tired to haggle, he was cool, and the money means more to him than me.

All I'm worried about now is that Apple will recognize that the screws aren't original if I have a problem and need to send the computer in for repair. That and a burn mark in the middle of the logic board.

8. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Maybe I missed something... but why is there a burn mark on the board?!?