What notebook works for what i need?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by theydonotmove, Jan 29, 2010.

1. theydonotmove macrumors member

theydonotmove

I need a notebook to do the following;

Surf web

Handle sites like youtube/hulu flawlessly

email

Word process

Updating and creating work/acting resumes

Edit movie footage together to create actors reel

record my own music for musician demo

Will i be able to get all this done on a Macbook? or will i need the 13'' Macbook pro?

Is a backlit keyboard and SD card slot really worth an extra hundred?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is also a Firewire port and a better display in the MBP, which is definitely worth the extra hundred.

But if you don't need those, then the MB will do what you want to do, but the resolution might be kinda limiting for video editing (if you use other editing software than iMovie) and audio editing.

3. theydonotmove thread starter macrumors member

theydonotmove

Do you think imovie is enough to get 2-3 minute long snipits of film together for a 5 minute video? And look professional enough?

I'm not trying to be james cameron or anything. But something tells me the Macbook pro might be a bit overkill.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

James Cameron could edit with iMovie too if one uses cuts and blend transitions. iMovie just does not give that many options to easily edit hours of footage in a variety of ways.

But for your purpose iMovie will be more than fine.

And the professional look is not really dependent on the editing software but on the quality of the footage (image quality, colour, camera handling, ...) and the editing technique (so please refrain from all those fancy transitions iMovie offers, as they look cheap and not professional - a simple cut and sometimes a blend transition are all that is needed besides a sense and knowledge of when to cut and blend).