What NVidia Card Will Be Used in MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetfreaky, Mar 8, 2010.

1. gadgetfreaky macrumors 6502a

It seems pretty clear that even tho a lot of folks want ATI, we are going to get NVida because of the battery management issues.

So what card from NVidia is the most likely here? the 330? 335? Exactly how would that compare to say a Ati 5830 or 5850.

Note. I tried posting this in the waiting for Arrandale thread part i5, but it got quickly overwhelmed by spunk.

2. iBunny macrumors 65816

What the hell is a MBS?

3. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

The plural of MB.

4. Caris macrumors 6502a

Caris

I hope it's not the new Intel chips, it would be a slap in the face with Steam just being announced.

5. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

Another stupid thread...

It probably got overlooked because it has been talked about a lot for the past week!

The general thought is that they will not use nvidia... but to ask us which will be used is like asking a mole which way the sun is. We don't know. You know as much as we do!

6. jawa12083 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch 2G 8GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Sorry what are the problems with ATI exactly?

7. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

A MBS is this thread

Monumental BS

8. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

Acutally, you might want to reread it because it's very unlikely they will use ATI since ATI won't have switchable graphics for a year or so. Apple cares a lot more about battery life than doing dx11....Nvidia is going in there unless the assumption about 12+ months for switchable graphics.

Also, instead of calling the thread stupid, you might want to look inward there yoda.

9. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

If you read it why did you start this thread?

10. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

No hot swtichable graphics...you can't move from the onboard intel graphics to the video card like you can with NVidia.

11. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stop saying the most likely choice is ATI when it's likely to stay Nvidia becasue of swtichable graphics.

Also, stop trolling and insulting people. Part of the reason the I5 threads are useless is people post baseless comments like yours.

Stop trolling and posting in this thread unless its a substantive point.

12. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

I'm sorry for getting upset, I am just so sick of these threads people start because they did not get the response from people they wanted from another thread.

But as for substantive point. We really have talked about this a lot on the Arrandale thread and if you would look back, there is a lot of info about it in those threads. :)

13. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Jesus, so many douches started posting over the past couple of months (not you OP).

I'm expecting Nvidia + Optimus. Have you seen this page? Might give you something to browse while you're on the never ending train to Macland.

14. BaronStein macrumors regular

15. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah -- I couldn't find any class ones that had decent heat on them. it's a good website tho. maybe nvidia will have something actually new rather than just rebranded crud. Ideally something that has low heat as the 5830 with say 85% the power. I'd settle for that.

16. sth macrumors 6502a

The nVidia cards that fall in the TDP range would be the 330M, 335M and maybe the 350M, depending on the clock speeds (notebook manifacturers are allowed to use lower-than-reference clock-speeds).

However, TDP is one thing, idle power consumption is a different one. Both are very important for notebooks but you won't find any figures for idle power.

To cut a long story short: Only Apple knows. We don't even know if Apple is going to use ATI or nVidia this time.

17. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure Nvidia said Optimus would only work under Windows 7, I really hope Apple doesn't use a crappy Nvidia card over ATI. The new ATI 5xxx series is just kicking some serious ass.

18. gadgetfreaky thread starter macrumors 6502a

They are working on a solution now according to Appleinsder that allows switchable on MacOs. At the same time, folks have said on these forums that ATI will not have a card that supports this for 12 months. Means we are prolly looking at an Nvidia card unless the 12 months assumption is wrong.