What NZB app do you use?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skp574, Mar 21, 2008.

1. skp574 macrumors 6502

I just wondered what NZB application everyone uses?

I have been trying a couple: Unison and NZB Drop.

Unison is ok but you can't queue/dequeue individual files in a long file list. That's why I am kind of swaying towards NZB Drop, but it's quite unstable under Leopard. You have to treat it with care otherwise it crashes. It also seems to cane system resources too after a during download session. My laptop hard disk goes mental and the fans sound like a plan taking off. I hope Asar are going to bring out an update for it to bring it up to date. Then I will definitely pay some money for it.

Also I have a Giganews account which up to 20 simultaneous connections with SSL and I prefer that NZB Drop uses those 20 connections to download a single file at a time. Whereas Unison what to download 20 files at any one time. NZB Drop seems to download faster as well.

I have had a little play with SuperNZB but I don't think it supports SSL connections but seems to be the whole package, handles NZB downloads, PAR2 verification and unRAR afterwards for unattended Usenet downloads.

2. TygerMac macrumors newbie

I use Unison, I only have 8 connections and it works great. I haven't heard of NZB Drop, but I'll look into it.

3. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

My favorite is still NewsBin Pro under Windows...

4. BYGino macrumors newbie

I really like iGrabNews (coming from a Windows&Newzbin background in the past) but since my last re-install, I've just been using NZBDrop and it does what I need.

I think iGrabNews is better but it had a few bugs with leopard (erhaps they're fixed now though)

5. catachip macrumors regular

catachip

I like HellaNZB (http://hellanzb.darwinports.com/)

It runs from the command line, but, is very powerful. It will connect simultaneously to as many servers as you want, and pick up the pieces it needs from any of them. It will then automatically use the par files and unrar them. It monitors a specific folder for nzb files (i.e., downloads folder) and starts downloading them automatically.

It may lack queuing? but, I like to download files one at a time anyway.

You'll need to install the apple developer tools first, and run some basic commands as outlined in the instructions.

6. Deephouse macrumors newbie

Please have a look at SABnzbdPlus. It is stable, free and has many powerful options. Highly recommended for .nzb files!

7. skp574 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have moved over the sabnzbd. Totally automated .nzb handling and remote queuing. I have it installed on my laptop and my NAS at home. So I can mass download!

8. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

I downloaded SABnzb, and seem to be a pretty cool app. Is there a setting to automatically unrar files? I have it checked in my Switches Configuration "enable unrar" but it didn't unrar the files.

9. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

Disregard, I figured it out.

10. Hates macrumors regular

Man.... Wish I knew about this before purchasing Unison :(

11. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

The web interface on this looks ugly in comparison to sabnzb and igrabnews. thoughts?

12. Hates macrumors regular

Yeah it's not a pretty interface, but then I don't really need to see what's going on with my nzbs. I'm happy just to let it do its stuff in the background.

13. Harry Bosch macrumors newbie

I bought and currently use Unison, which is okay for NZB. It also does a lot more, such as binary posting. I don't love it, it crashes too often and the UI is really annoying because it forces you to update and view groups one at a time, so it's very time consuming with long periods of waiting interspersed with actually doing something useful if you try to monitor many groups. Also, it has no automatic support for PAR/RAR, which again forces too many manual fixup chores on the user (although it does automatically create and post PAR files for uploads, which is a plus in its favor).

I am going to give SuperNZB a try...

14. palebluedot macrumors 6502a

palebluedot

Is Super NZB only for Tiger?

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

If anyone has any requests for what they want in a newsgroup client / NZB app feel free to send me a PM.