What oem HDD(s) does Apple use in the MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by henry999, Nov 8, 2010.

1. henry999 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of ordering an MBP (17", 2.66) with the 7200 HDD. My idea is to then swap it out for an SSD and put the HDD in an external eSATA case. The case I'm looking at is the Aluratek AHDDS100F. The problem is that this case only provides 2A and the word is that 'some' HDDs need more juice than that to spin up. So, the question is, how can I find out what the BTO HDD in the MBP will be and will its specs be consistent with what the Aluratek offers it?

cheers,

Henry

2. Arneee macrumors newbie

Arneee

Henry, no worries. I believe most of the HDD used to be Samsungs anyway. I did an upgrade year ago for my 160Gb which was replaced by 500Gb. You know how I laughed when my only 500Gg 7200rpm disk available to that date was Samsung and I opened up my laptop to see... Samsung which was BTO 7200 rpm and added 100$ to my initial price if I remember right. I got the cheapest external sata enclosure from ebay for a 3$ and it is running on one usb port. I don't see any reason the contemporary hdd would need more juice than that.

3. Joerigoesmac macrumors member

Joerigoesmac

Ive had a normal alu macbook, and now a macbook pro. Both of them had a 160gb Seagate disk. replaced those with a 250gb wd caviar black, and now 500gb caviar black.

But any sata 2 enclosure will give enough power to spin a normal 2,5" disk