What % of iphone owners jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by johndallas999, Nov 1, 2011.

1. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

What do you guys think the % of people with iPhones have them jailbroken? I was thinking maybe 1 out of 1000 people who own an iphone but that is even probably high.... Hmm....

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's a difficult question to answer since it is not a reliable benchmark, most are based on downloads and I someone can JB and download the tool multiple times per phone, however based on IEMI saved on Cydia it was estimated months ago that about 4% of all iphones are JB. (that is a lot more than 1 out 1000).

(I tried to looked up the article but i can't find it, if i do i'll edit with the source)

3. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Yes that's 40 out of 1000

4. heyloo macrumors 6502

I'd be curious to know how much that number would change when/if Siri shows up on Cydia :D

5. SlickSilver macrumors newbie

Basically everyone I know with an iPhone has it jailbroken. (10 people) But that probably is just because they happen to know me :p
    I was lucky enough to have a friend who explained to me it is not scary at all. I can never imagine having it unjailbroken again. Cant go back once you did it!

On the reverse side. I dont know anyone who rooted their android.. Funny thing is most guys choosing android do it because they believe Android is less restrictive, but with a jailbreak you can 10x more stuff with an iPhone!

6. b24pgg macrumors 65816

There are no published statistics AFAIK but it's probably 2-6%.

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

We record whether or not our registered users are running on jb phones or not and see less than 1/2 of 1 percent with over 1.5m user registrations by UDID at present across a wide range of applications.

8. labman macrumors 604

labman

It does go up abet when its time to resell a older model or at least more people ask all the studen I don't think Siri, will effect that much. Most people will be obvious to it.

9. TheComposer macrumors member

Wow only 4%, considering the "benefits" i was thinking it was a higher number like 30% or something like that.

10. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I've read stats ranging anywhere from 2-10% of users being jailbroken. It's all a guess really since it's not really tracked by anyone.

11. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

I only know one person with a JB iPhone. A lot of people say they are scared it will break their phone, scared of voiding the warranty, or just plain say they don't need to JB. There are also large groups of people who don't even know what a JB is.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Consider who the majority of the millions of iPhone owners are out there. It's easy to end up with a skewed perspective of the overall iPhone user base when your frequent iPhone forums.

13. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Haha, that's it? 4%?

Some of the top apps in the Android Market are root-only apps. Just goes to show how sucky Android is without rooting. Actually it still sucks after rooting/ROMs. I've had 4 Android phones so I know what I'm talking about.

I haven't even jailbroken my iPhones, because they work so well out of the box. Maybe someday I'll feel a reason to, but with iOS 5, a lot of the reasons to jailbreak are gone.

14. ryancoke macrumors newbie

I disagree. The Android OS is far better than the iOS. I have them both too so I know what I am talking about.

15. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Yeah my GF is hotter than your!.... "Better" is a very relative term, OS X vs Windows, iOS vs Android, Coke vs Pepsi, always never ending arguments. As a developers both system got lot os strengths and weakness. iOS is easier to develop and support for due to less fragmentation, but the nature of the close store and close system make it sometime a living hell.

16. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I disagree. iOS is far better than Android OS. I have them both too so I know what I am talking about. :p

17. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

THIS.

Actually Pepsi is better. Fact.:cool:

18. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

I heard it was 10% of all iOS users that jailbreak.

19. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Nonsense. We see less than 1/2 of 1% of all of our users are Jailbroken. There is no way our measured numbers are an order of magnitude different from reality.

20. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

As I said on my post, we don't have a clear number since nobody is really keeping track of it, the 10%, 12% number came from the GP tool and the amount of people that download it vs the time the tool accessed the servers. This is not even close to accurate since on my case alone my development phones get restore and JB multiple times a days, specially during those periods where the tool are fresh out.

The closest we can get is to count the IMEI stored on Cydia, we know that know every device that get JB get Cydia (while no all send their IMEI to it, it is close enough) that number was about 4% couple of months ago.

21. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Did you just crap those statistics?

22. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

No one I know with iPhones has jailbroken theirs (That's 9 people).

I had one, but quit JBing (thought it wasn't worth the hassle).

23. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

That's about right, with all the iphone sold worldwide...you need to "know" about 30 people and only 1 of those will have a JB phone.

24. PhantomZone macrumors 6502

The only other person I know with a jailbroken phone is my wife :p

Anyone else who's heard of it thinks its just for stealing apps :rolleyes:

25. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Yankee!