What % of you use macbooks

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tech198, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Tech198, Jun 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

Tech198 macrumors G4

Getting an ipad 2 shortly (well. about 2 weeks thanks to Apple) but anyway,

Since you guys have got ipad2, how much of you use , or not, your macbook/pro ?

I'm kind of interested as to see weather the ipad2 was really a big hit and weather it may "god for bid" replace an macbook.

2. xraytech macrumors 68020

1st thing, more descriptive title please.

I use my iPad a whole lot more than my MacBook Pro. My MacBook is mostly used for media management.

3. Tech198 thread starter macrumors G4

media

This is kind of the reply i was hoping for.. i also have an Apple TV, so while i'm streaming via Itunes on my local network, i could use the ipad2 for other stuff. in addition to the normal everyday use.

Thanks.

4. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

Well. I use my MacBook Air for Syncing with my iPhone and iPad. That's it.
    When I updated my iPad and iPhone to iOS 5 in September, I will Sync it with my Mac less and less. I'm even thinking about selling it to my friend.

I love my iPad 2 so much more than my Mac. It's truly magical, you have to use it in order to understand how magical it is. :D

So yea my iPad is my everyday computer.

5. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Comparing these two is a complete waste of time.

Ones an entertainment appliance.

The other is a computer.

Only Apple Hype, Blurs Peoples Minds.

6. ihatephish macrumors regular

Only use my MacBook when absolutely necessary and as little as possible.

7. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Proud to be Mac free, if you are willing to overlook virtualized OSX that I have not booted in a month. I do use my pc quite a lot, since a ton of my work involves things that are either impossible or extremely inconvenient on iPad. But iPad has a ton of uses for me. I find it indispensable as an Internet browser, entertainment device and video player

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Well, I don't have a Mac, my next computer maybe a MBA, but that will depend o what else is out there.

As for using a computer over iPad, I use the iPad a lot more, mostly casual browsing, game playing, visor watching, and magazine/newspaper reading. But when I need actual work done (such as looking up info on several websites, excel spreadsheets, reports, ect...) I will grab the laptop.

9. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

You, off the mark, are.
    iPad is what you want it to be. You can make it a very productive computing tool if so you choose. I'm not saying there's no cost for that though: there's a learning curve and a necessity to adjust your working/computing habits; plus the whole thing is still in its infancy but it'll get perfected rather sooner than later.
    Figuring out how to use the iPad productively is not the hardest part; it's combatting cognitive dissonance that's really tough.

10. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I have a MBP and I used it much less now that I have the iPad. I do tend to use it for Xcode, sometimes Safari & downloading stuff and a few bits of media management (though most of that is done on the MacMini attached to the telly)

The only thing I dislike about MobileSafari is only being able to have 9 tabs open and that it auto closes the oldest if you open a 10th tab. On my MBP (where I am typing this atm) I currently have 28 tabs open for bits to remember and deal with.

11. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Same here. My MBP sits idle 90-95% of the time now and primarily used for downloading purposes or for moving media content to my iPad2.

12. princealyy macrumors regular

My macbook also sits idle.... but I find myself using my thinkpad more and more, ever since I got my iPad... I like that I can do most of my commands on it without the use of the trackpad....

13. ZombieZakk macrumors 6502

i have a macboo pro (see sig) that i use daily it gets much more use than my ipad 2 actually but they are both for different uses.

i can live without my ipad but not my macbook pro!!!!!

14. Arcadia310 macrumors regular

I use my MacBook Pro quite a lot. There's just a lot of things I can't do on the iPad yet. I love my iPad but it's simply not a productive tool, yet. It's great for consumption but downright worthless or creation.

15. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

I use my iPad a lot, since most of what I do is just web browsing. The MBP has been put on stand by now that I don't need to work on it during vacation.

16. soco macrumors 68030

soco

I actually did this in reverse.

I got an iPhone in '07, first iPad in '10, second iPad in '11 and just recently got my MacBook Pro when the new ones came out.

I've literally stopped using the iPad all together. It's really weird. I just don't have any situations where I really mind using the MacBook Pro. Yeah, I could use the iPad 2 and it's lighter and gets the job done, but everything is so much more full-featured and elegant on the MBP.

Call me crazy for going in reverse. I love the iPad to death, don't get me wrong. It's just that, I think if I had a MacBook all along, maybe I wouldn't have bought it...

17. xraytech macrumors 68020

You missed the point of the thread. Of course one is Apple and the other is an Orange.

The question was,

"Since you guys have got ipad2, how much of you use , or not, your macbook/pro?"

As for the blurring peoples minds thing, perhaps. But as I use my iPad more, the more I realize that my MacBook Pro has become more of single purpose tool instead of a Swiss Army knife. Which is fine and if that means my mind is "Blurred"? Then yes, Meus mens est blurred.

18. taipan61 macrumors 6502

it's about a 50/50 split, still use the MBP for the majority of the work and use the iPad for consumption while on the road (which is too much these days)

19. jason1790 macrumors member

I have an iPad 2 32GB 3G. I also had the original iPad. Ever since I got an iPad I almost never use my MacBook Pro. I only use my MacBook Pro to sync my iPad and manage/edit my website with iWeb. I am actually in the process of trying to sell my MacBook Pro and replace it with a new iMac since all my laptop does it sit on my desk anyway. I never bring my computer anywhere because I can do almost everything I would do on a computer on my iPad.

20. littledude8209 macrumors regular

I seem to be using my macbook air a lot less, sadly. I know once school starts up again in august that i will be using it a lot more though. my iPad is just very convenient to use for web browsing and watching movies.

21. aleni macrumors 68020

i use my mbp only when i'm working with photoshop. i'm doing tshirt design for my work. everything else i use the iPad.

22. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

i use my ipad so much more now... often go days without touching my macbook...

mostly because my macbook is from 2006 and the ipad is just so much faster.

23. jonter19 macrumors member

I'm finding that the longer I have my iPad the longer I go without touching my Macbook Pro.

I do weekly video work for a local organization, so there will always be some things I have to use my MBP for. For everything else, including reading, web surfing, and taking notes, the iPad is just superior for what I need.

24. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

Have u tried iWork for iPad yet?

25. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I have an MBA that gets light use because of the iPad 2.