What older model laptop for a writing machine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teiresias, May 19, 2008.

1. teiresias macrumors regular

Hey all, so I'm wanting to get a new laptop and sell my 700m to a friend of mine. I thought about buying a macbook, but my needs for my portable computing are pretty small.

Basically, I just need something that i can write with (via Scrivener mostly), and check email and do some web browsing.

I've been following 12" Powerbook auctions on ebay, but they always seem to get bid up into the nearly $700 range unless the thing is bent and dented to smithereens. At that price I'd just get a refurb macbook.

I know this is the Powerbook forum, but I've been thinking about looking at a 12" iBook instead, so what do people think about that? Would a 1.33GHz iBook run Leopard acceptably (not feel horribly sluggish or anything)? It also seems like the plastic construction of the iBook might be a bit more rugged than what I've seen of used aluminum 12" Powerbooks. How do the screens tend to be on these older laptops? Is there a big difference between the iBook keyboards and the Powerbook keyboards (which I tend to like the feel of)?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

The iBook keyboards were awesome. Most iBook g4s will run Leopard fine but without all of the eye candy (I assume that this isn't necessary). The rugged look and feel is actually because of their durability. Going from my iBook 14" to a MacBook was quite a shock, seeing how Apple decided to turn down their build quality.