What on earth is "Cloud" Computing?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by gkarris, Oct 25, 2008.

1. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I'm starting to hear about "Cloud" Computing.

At our IT meeting a couple weeks ago, it was mentioned, but many just laughed at it.

I did some reasearch at and seems that it's just everything on the Internet, including your OS.(?)

Why would anyone want their OS and apps on the Internet? Just means you will always need continuous connectivity, and the OS and Apps will be so heavilty DRM'ed, that you will need to "subscribe" to these just to use your computer... :eek:

Here's an article I found...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10056933-56.html

2. rijiMacDij macrumors regular

Maybe Micro$oft should call it Windows Fog......

3. detz macrumors 65816

It's not for personal use it's most often used for hosting websites/services. We use clouds because they allow us to quickly launch new servers when we need them. For example, we're expecting a bug jump next month because of the shopping season so instead of purchasing more dedicated servers we just have a whole bunch of "clouds" setup so when we need the extra power we just "flick" the switch and we have it. It's nice because you only pay for what you need and it's on-demand meaing you can have it right when you need it.

Another example of how we use it is to process data. With one server crunching numbers it could take 2 days to finish but with a cloud we launch 50 instances in the cloud and it's done in an hour or so. :D

4. gkarris thread starter macrumors 604

gkarris

^^^ O I C...

I guess our company uses it now, just a new term?

We have switched to Web Apps, I guess going to be "Cloud" Apps?

We also have e-mail via Web, and soon to be online web storage.

That's as far as we'll go - I don't see our computer OS's or Office Apps going into the Cloud, but it looks like Ballmer does... :eek:

5. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:)

I understand cloud computing for the storage of data.

However, I don't see it as a viable way to use a computer on a day to day basis. The bandwidth and coverage simply aren't there yet worldwide.