what one needs to install a SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beedoola, Aug 28, 2012.

1. beedoola macrumors member

Early MBP 13'' here. Do I need a drive adapter since I'll be using a Samsung 830 SSD? I've heard carbon copy cloner works well. Do I need some kind of adapter to put the old HD in to copy the data to the new SSD once I've install the SSD? If so, what adapter/kit to get?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

A very simple and effective method is to buy the new drive in an external enclosure, then use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the internal to the external, then swap the drives and boot up. Your new drive is now the internal and your old drive is now an external drive, useful for backups or additional storage.

3. simsaladimbamba

You do need tools, a Phillips #00 and Torx 6 screwdriver, an USB enclosure (10 € or more) and CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper! if you intend to clone.

The following can go into more detail, if you want:
    MacBook, MacBook Pro: Replacing the Hard Disk Drive, transferring data to the new HDD

the guide includes:
    • 0. Identify your MacBook or MacBook Pro
    • 1. Getting a new HDD
    • 2. Guides to replace the internal HDD with a newer one
    • 3. Transferring data from the old HDD to the new HDD
    • 4. Using the optical disk drive (ODD) slot for placing an SSD or HDD inside the MB/P (OPTIBAY)

4. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

do you know of super dooper of carbon cloner is better?

Do I need an adapter for the SSD since it's 2.5? - are the HDs in the Early 2011 MBPs 2.5?

5. Saberon macrumors 6502a

Notebooks are 2.5"
    Desktops are 3.5"
    SSDs are 2.5"

There are rare exceptions but this is for 99% of cases

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The HD you have now is 2.5" so no adapter is needed. I prefer CCC, but either SD! or CCC should work fine.

7. simsaladimbamba

I prefer CCC, though it has been a paid application since version 3.5 (which promises full OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion compatibility, which I don't need, due to me still using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard). Both CCC and SD do the job.

And as mentioned in the guide I linked to, and I guess several other posts since opening this reply page, the SSD is 2.5" and almost every notebook HDD (including the ones used in Mac notebooks) is also 2.5".
    You don't need to worry. I have one HDD and one SSD in my MBP and it works quite well.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

IMO CCC is better because it will copy (clone) the Recovery HD in Lion and Mountain Lion while SD will not. Just DL CCC from their web site and it is a free trial for 30 days so you can use it to do your SSD install then either delete it or pay to keep it.

9. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

12. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

I have a Western Digital 500gb external drive. Could I open it up and remove the stock drive and use it as an enclosure for the formatting of the new SSD?

13. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can do that.

14. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

given that it uses a power adapter, I'll have to use the power adapter with the new SSD drive when its in the enclosure to get it power right? Thank you for your help :)

15. simsaladimbamba

Probably yes. What about getting a 10 USD USB enclosure, for further using the old HDD? There are 2.5" S-ATA USB enclosures out there, on Newegg and other sites. The guide I linked to has an example link.

No need to dismantle an already existing 3.5" HDD enclosure.

16. beedoola thread starter macrumors member

yeah I saw the links in the thread you posted. I mean I already have the external here, I already disassembled it to see how difficult it would be - not difficult at all. And I'll save a few bucks.. 256gb on the SSD is all I'll need right now. I may to a optibay swap at a later point.

As long as the interface from the 3.5 will work then I'll just use that.