What operating system is shipped with refurbished iPad 1 from Apple?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by myrtlebee, Mar 3, 2012.

1. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

As the title says, what version of iOS ships with refurbed wifi original iPads from Apple?

Has anyone gotten one recently? I am thinking about getting a refurbed original iPad from Apple later this week (hopefully after a price cut) to have around the house for some basic apps and Youtube. Problem is, I have heard that the original iPad is sluggish running iOS 5 and since it's not the easiest thing in the world to revert back to earlier versions of iOS, I wanted to see what they are shipped with. It doesn't say online and I called and asked an Apple rep and she had no idea.

Thanks

2. borgqueenx macrumors 65816

the newest. Apple always upgrades the units when they leave factory. a refurbished unit wont be a exeption.

3. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Yeah, but who knows when they were refurbished, and why wouldn't Apple actually tell me that when I called? Has anyone actually purchased one, say, in the last week or so that can speak on this?

4. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

It doesn't matter when they were made, sent back or refurbished, as long as they are sent to the new owner (you) after the ios is released, they will have the newest ios. So i'm afraid it will have ios 5.

5. xTRIGGER092x, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012

xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

You really don't need to worry about iOS 5 on the iPad 1. I'm running 5.0.1 on my first gen and it runs fantastic, just as smooth as ever. Apps may crash once in a while, but that's the only (minor) problem I've had with iOS 5 on it, and that can be solved by merely killing the app in the multitasking tray.

To maintain performance, don't go overboard by downloading lots of apps, kill apps in the multitasking tray often, and disable Spotlight. That's worked wonders for me.

6. KwilsonCCO macrumors member

I just bought an iPad 2 white 64gb refurb last week and it shipped with ios 4.
    So don't assume the refurbs have the newest iOS. Although I updated it to the newest iOS 5 right from the start before using but was annoyed a little when I saw the plug up to iTunes screen before I could use it.

7. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Wouldn't disabling Spotlight require having the iPad jailbroken? (Forgive me, I don't have one with me atm)

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

On iPhone you can turn it off spotlight for individual stuff, probably can turn them all off. Settings->General->SpotlightSearch

I'd imagine it's similar on iPad.

9. xTRIGGER092x macrumors regular

Yeah, it's the same for both iPhone and iPad. Just uncheck everything in Spotlight Search.