What options do I have to protect my iMac G5 20"

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by edgew8, Jan 9, 2009.

1. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

Noob question, but I am a little fuzzy on the details of Applecare.

If my used G5's logic board goes bad am I SOL? Is it possible to buy any kind of applecare for this machine? I would hate to have to purchase a replacement board as it would be more expensive than the price of the iMac.

Are there any other options anyone can suggest, like say, places to get reasonably priced replacement parts?

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It's doubtful you could still get AppleCare for that G5. AppleCare can only be purchased during the first year a computer is owned by the initial user. I think ifixit.com has a nice selection of replacement parts but logic boards aren't cheap anywhere to my knowledge.

3. TrapOx macrumors 6502

Why would you want applecare on a $700 machine? $700 will buy a mini thats easily twice as fast.

4. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Assuming it's a non-iSight model, the only two things you really need to be concerned with (other than trivial issues such as a hard drive) are the capacitors on the logic board and the power supply. Both are fixable if you're good with a soldering iron, and the power supply is about $100 if you were to just replace it.

http://jimwarholic.com/2008/07/how-to-repair-apple-imac-g5.php

There is a link there for fixing the power supply as well.

5. edgew8 thread starter macrumors regular

edgew8

Thanks much for the help. Looks like I will be practicing soldering capacitors on old motherboards I have in the basement :D