What options to get on macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surfdude24, Jul 1, 2008.

1. surfdude24 macrumors newbie

Mainly I will use the Macbook for internet, aim, and itunes. Sometimes I will watch movies online.

Do I want to go with the standard 2.1 GHz 1 GB Ram or 2.4 GHz 2 GB of Ram

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If that's all you're going to be doing then you definitely don't need to get any BTO options. Really the only time you need to upgrade things like that is when you're doing video editing work in Final Cut, or using some other Pro application, and, of course, if you're playing games that would benefit from the higher specs.

Don't let anyone else on the forum tell you that you're going to need X amount of RAM, or you have to upgrade part X, you really don't need it.

3. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

Sounds like the base version would be fine, however, if you want to rip/burn DVD's you'll need the superdrive, which comes with the 2.4ghz version.

I have a habit of telling people to max out their ram FROM AN AFTERMARKET RETAILER because RAM is so cheap right now and historically, once technology moves along, the prices go up on the older stuff because there is not as much supply. Thats just my .02

You can score 4gb (2 x 2gb) for around 70 bucks that will work in your MacBook

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

For what your doing the base one should be fine but if your doing some heavy multitasking than you should add more ram.

ChrisN

5. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Hello,

I don't want to hijack the thread but I have been wondering this too; I currently have a Mac Mini and I am going to buy a MacBook in the next few months. I don't do anything heavy on the Mini but I am constantly using more than 1Gb RAM, so I had convinced myself I should get at least 2Gb on the MacBook. If nothing else, I will probably want iTunes open whatever I am doing on the MacBook, and we all know what a memory hog iTunes is. I never seem to run out of memory with 2Gb on the Mini, so surely its worth the extra? (£60 here in the UK). If I am wrong, please tell me otherwise as the missus can always help spend the money elsewhere than on technology ;-)

6. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

If you use Safari, check to see if it's not hogging memory. Safari tends to use up a lot of memory the longer it runs.

7. firstapple macrumors 6502a

firstapple

RAM is cheap these days so buy what you can afford in that department (of course look to see the maximum amount your computer can hold). Other than that, safari is a huge memory hog, so that could be your problem as well. Try FireFox and see if that changes your memory usage.

* A little side-note, I love Safari, but I have no problem with it being a memory hog as I maxed out the RAM in my iMAc.

8. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

If you NEED the superdrive, get that. Just think, though, about how much an external is, and how much you're actually going to use it. I think in the 2 years I've had my MacBook, I've burned maybe 3 CD-Rs. To me, the extra $200 wouldn't have been worth it, but back then, the choices were different (processor speeds with the Combo was like 1.8GHz).

As far as RAM and HDD space, it's a lot less expensive to upgrade yourself later on. You may be satisfied with the stock amounts. For me, 512MB and 60GB weren't near enough. 1GB might be just fine for you, and 120GB is a lot of space to have, unless you're doing heavy video work...or like to subscribe to Macworld keynote podcasts.