Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martylaa

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Durham
If I buy a 13" new Air, I am thinking of just getting the 128gb memory but upgrading to 8gb Ram, I have a 1TB external hard drive I can put most of my stuff on, or would you go the extra and get the 256 GB memory?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you can afford the larger SSD, I'd do that. Unless you're prepared to carry an external drive with you when you take you laptop.

I find for my needs the 128gb is too limiting but that's my needs.

I'd get the 8gb and 256gb SSD

ylrd

macrumors member
May 25, 2013
Europe
Go for the 256GB, 128GB is too little, and out of the box you'll barely have 100GB available.

Also, it's better to have a decent amount of storage instead of having to plug/unplug your external HD all the time.

Tarrou8

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2013
In order of importance for the Air:
1) RAM upgrade
2) SSD upgrade
3) processor upgrade

If you already have a desktop at home and this will be your secondary machine, 128GB is enough (assuming it's just for light use and traveling). If you plan to do anything more with it, 256GB would be ideal.

stockcerts

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Pensacola, FL
If you can afford the larger SSD, I'd do that. Unless you're prepared to carry an external drive with you when you take you laptop.

I find for my needs the 128gb is too limiting but that's my needs.

I'd get the 8gb and 256gb SSD

This is the configuration I just ordered. It was a little pricey, but I don't want to be sorry later. Picking mine up at the Apple Store on Wednesday. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.