Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bryantm3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 15, 2003
1. mac os x tiger in febuary (duh)
2. speed bumps to iBook and PowerBook in april/march
3. at WWDC, updates to eMac and MacMini (speed bumps)
4. fall 2005, lower speed PowerBook G5's- (ie: 1.6 Ghz, 1.8 Ghz, along the same lines as the new iMacs, except with better graphics.)
5. price drops to iMac, eMac, and iBooks for christmas

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
bryantm3 said:
1. mac os x tiger in febuary (duh) No
2. speed bumps to iBook and PowerBook in april/march Not iBook
3. at WWDC, updates to eMac and MacMini (speed bumps) MacMini Is a No
4. fall 2005, lower speed PowerBook G5's- (ie: 1.6 Ghz, 1.8 Ghz, along the same lines as the new iMacs, except with better graphics.) iMac's will be 2.0
5. price drops to iMac, eMac, and iBooks for christmas No

My answers. ;)

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
bryantm3 said:
1. mac os x tiger in febuary (duh)
I agree on the no. We would have heard by now (it's still not even Golden Master, and Apple usually gives a month or so's notice). So... no.

2. speed bumps to iBook and PowerBook in april/march
New PowerBooks are coming soon, they're already End-Of-Life'd some places. Small speedbump is most likely with a quiet update.

3. at WWDC, updates to eMac and MacMini (speed bumps)
Updates to eMac soon as well. Also EOL'ed recently. Mac Mini will be awhile before it's updated, it's not even out yet. Maybe by WWDC, depends on what else they have out (or ready to go) at the time.

4. fall 2005, lower speed PowerBook G5's- (ie: 1.6 Ghz, 1.8 Ghz, along the same lines as the new iMacs, except with better graphics.)
Maybe, but I'm sure the iMac would have been updated by then.

5. price drops to iMac, eMac, and iBooks for christmas
No.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
1. Asteroid (Firewire audio device) - THIS WEEKEND
2. Powerbook G4 (with lowered prices) - WITHIN 1 MONTH
3. eMac (probably very similar to current form) - WITHIN 1 MONTH
4. Updated PowerMac - before WWDC
5. Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger - WWDC
6. Updated iMac - Fall
7. Powerbook G5s not until next year's MacWorld.

If my Asteroid prediction proves true, then it'll add weight to the rest of my prediction, which I think is pretty solid overall.

Lee Tom

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
You didn't mention the possibility of an update to the Power Mac G5 sometime March/April. It could also coincide with Tiger. All that we know for sure is that it will be before June 30.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
LeeTom said:
1. Asteroid (Firewire audio device) - THIS WEEKEND
2. Powerbook G4 (with lowered prices) - WITHIN 1 MONTH
3. eMac (probably very similar to current form) - WITHIN 1 MONTH
4. Updated PowerMac - before WWDC
5. Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger - WWDC
6. Updated iMac - Fall
7. Powerbook G5s not until next year's MacWorld.

If my Asteroid prediction proves true, then it'll add weight to the rest of my prediction, which I think is pretty solid overall.

Lee Tom

I agree with the above, good analysis LeeTom. I think we will see speedbumped Powerbooks in the next two weeks. I can't see Tiger until WWDC.

LimitedEdition

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2005
I predict a new PowerMac at the developer's conference in June and Tiger about a month before that. Maybe a new Power Book soon if the thing about it being EOLed is true. It may even be a G5 PB since they have managed to put a G5 behind the iMac screen.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Keep in mind Apple seems to be going longer between hardware updates. So the Mac mini I don't truly expect to anything on till October.

That being said, I think will will see a refresh on the PB, iB, and eMac lines over the next 30 to 45 days.

jzke

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2005
Chip NoVaMac said:
Keep in mind Apple seems to be going longer between hardware updates. So the Mac mini I don't truly expect to anything on till October.

That being said, I think will will see a refresh on the PB, iB, and eMac lines over the next 30 to 45 days.

In the past, when new iBook's have been released, has their been a price increase? or will the prices increase with the next refresh of the iBook line?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jzke said:
In the past, when new iBook's have been released, has their been a price increase? or will the prices increase with the next refresh of the iBook line?

Mixed bag on that I believe. The last time around I seem to remember a price drop, before that performance jump only. But I am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Chip NoVaMac said:
Mixed bag on that I believe. The last time around I seem to remember a price drop, before that performance jump only. But I am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

A price drop is always nice. More like Apple will follow the more usual practice of giving us an upgrade in specification at the same price.

jzke

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2005
So do you think it's worthwhile me waiting for the updated iBook, rather than purchasing a 12" G4 now?

sjpetry

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2004
Tamarindo, Costa Rica
jzke said:
So do you think it's worthwhile me waiting for the updated iBook, rather than purchasing a 12" G4 now?

If you you are always waiting for the next best thing to come out...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................you'll always be waiting. ;)

jzke

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2005
Of course, however, with a major update coming soon with Tiger, the current iBook doesn't support Core Image. Realistically, is it worth waiting for the next iBook update?

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
jzke said:
Of course, however, with a major update coming soon with Tiger, the current iBook doesn't support Core Image. Realistically, is it worth waiting for the next iBook update?

If you look at the buyers Guide, the iBook updates over the last 3 years have been very consistent.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

The next update is due in April this year, so it depends on how long you are prepared to wait. I am only expecting a speed-bump at this stage. The iBooks are already pretty well specified compared to the current powerbooks. I would have no reservation with suggesting you buy now. The golden rule of computing is that something faster will always be coming out in 6 months time.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
jzke said:

I would wait this time, but that's just one man's opinion.

My guess is pretty similar to Lee Tom's.

1. Speedbumped Powerbook G4 and eMac + lower prices - 30-45 days
2. Update to PowerMac G5 - a few weeks before WWDC
3. Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger - WWDC
4. Update to iMac - Oct/Nov
5. Update to Mac Mini - Oct/Nov
7. Powerbook G5s -- MWSF 2006, or possibly as early as Paris in September, but not as likely.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Abstract said:
I would wait this time, but that's just one man's opinion.

My guess is pretty similar to Lee Tom's.

1. Speedbumped Powerbook G4 and eMac + lower prices - 30-45 days
2. Update to PowerMac G5 - a few weeks before WWDC
3. Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger - WWDC
4. Update to iMac - Oct/Nov
5. Update to Mac Mini - Oct/Nov
7. Powerbook G5s -- MWSF 2006, or possibly as early as Paris in September, but not as likely.

You don't give a date when you think that the iBook might be updated. They should lower the price of the PowerBook if its only a speedbump. Maybe the updated PowerBook, eMac, & Power Mac will come out about the same time.

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
idle specualtion is always fun!

speed bumped eMac and PB - this or next Tuesday (eol'd and all)
speed bumped Power Mac - March
speed bumped iMac - April/May (possible updated at same time as towers)
Tiger - WWDC
PB G5 - WWDC (Steve: Tiger is optimized for 64bit etc...but what can you run it on if you need to leave the office? well, one more thing...) won't ship til late summer though.
iBook - either just before or after WWDC

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i want asteroid as soon as possible. so, in about 3 minutes it should be released ;)

seriously though, my prediction is
1-powerbooks and asteroid this tuesday
2-emacs and ipod minis right after the superbowl promo with pepsi starts.
3-imac and ibook updates in late march or early april
4-powermacs and ipods at WWDC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.