What order to read books?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Simmons, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Simmons macrumors newbie

I know this may be a silly question, but the order in which to read the iPhone programming books I have on my to-read list is something I can not decide. So far, I have read "Learn Objective-C on the Mac" and "Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the SDK."

On my to-read list are:
    Beginning iPhone Games Development (to be release on Jan 1st)
    More iPhone 3 Development: Tackling the iPhone SDK"
    iPhone Advanced Projects
    iPhone User Interface Design Projects

Don't troll please. I just want to get the most out of each of these books.

2. TAJones99 macrumors member

TAJones99

Do you have the hang of objective c yet, I been making apps since march 2009 I never programmed before and I found out the hard way that learning the how to code was most important thing I used Stephen G. Kochan Programming in Objective C 2.0 to learn the code

3. Simmons thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I think about it, now that I have seen all of that syntax and such in action, I think reading that book may be very beneficial. I have one question though. Is it more of a "sit-down-and-read-some-pages" kind of book or is it a "sit-down-at-your-computer-and-type-up-some-examples" kind of a book. Being as I do most of my reading at school (where I have no computer available to me), I would like it more if it were the first kind of book.

4. TAJones99 macrumors member

TAJones99

You have to have a Mac with you so you can do the samples to learn more and get use to typing the code and book that I suggested teaches objective c like you are new too code.

5. idelovski macrumors regular

When I picked Kochan's book a year ago I had in me almost 20 years of straight C experience, so I spend most of the time with the book away from my Mac, just reading it and compiling everything in my head.

Now when I think of it, I had flu and I stayed at home when I started with the book so over the weekend (friday afternoon - sunday evening) I did 250 pages, mostly in bed. Rest of the book took a month or so, but most of it was done away from the Xcode too. I typed only half a dozen projects into my computer, mostly when the "compiler" in my head felt puzzled about something.

In other words, if you have a lot of experience with programming you can read most of the book away from Mac and Xcode and test only the tricky parts.

6. Simmons thread starter macrumors newbie

I've decided I am good on the whole Objective-C thing. Now I am stuck between whether to read "Beginning iPhone Games Development" or "More iPhone 3 Development: Tackling the iPhone SDK"