What OS do you mainly use?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kingcrowing, Jul 6, 2008.

?

What OS' do you use?

1. OS X (All Versions)

24 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. Windows Vista (All Versions)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. Windows XP (All Versions)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Linux (What Distro?)

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Multiple

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  6. Other?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

I'm a computer tech at my University so I have to keep up with all the common OS' just due to my job, and I've got my main Desktop with Vista Ultimate, I'm getting a new MBP with Leopard, I've got an old Dell Optiplex I got for free with XP Pro, and a Dell Latitude D600 I also got for free with Ubuntu 8.04 on it. I use then all pretty equally, depending on where I am and what I'm doing... It's really nice to be able to use them all and when you learn one trick to see how it crosses over to the others. You also grow to miss some features though, example: Virtual Desktops.

Linux pioneered it, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, etc have all had them since they started, Leopard finally just got it, and for a few years XP got the Microsoft Virtual Desktop Manager Powertoy. But Vista still has no elegant way to use multiple desktops, and the 3rd party ones just stink.

Anyways, what do you use? Presumably OS X is going to be the favorite of most up us here, I'd say its a tie between that and Ubuntu, I'd switch over to Ubuntu mainly but theres still some features its lacking, seamless Cisco VPN support has been an ongoing issue for me, as well as openoffice lacking some of the more advanced features and .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx support, but thats all to come I'm sure.

2. kolax macrumors G3

OS X is my primary OS, however I have Windows XP via BootCamp on my Mac, and an older PC I have for downloads etc.

3. 7031 macrumors 6502

I use Mac OS X Leopard
    Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Ubuntu Linux
    Debian Linux

4. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I guess I mainly use Mac OS X Leopard, although all the others PCs in my house run Vista Ultimate.

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Mac OS X and Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit. Mostly Vista is just for gaming and watching TV on my computer. Everything else I do on Mac OS X.

I so sometimes use CentOS though when I want to test something in Linux, although I don't really like it.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

At home I primarily use Ubuntu 8.04 right now, and less frequently Tiger. At work I think the computer runs XP, but it's a new job and I actually haven't gotten a login yet. :rolleyes:

7. buddywalker macrumors newbie

I use OS X Leopard, but have XP Pro installed (bootcamp) because it is required for engineering school. We'll see when I start school how much I'll have to use XP.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) and Windows XP.

Currently dabbling with Leopard and Vista.

Also use Ubuntu, DOS and Win2K.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Why not use your Mac for watching TV? Likes of the EyeTV?

10. jsklar macrumors member

leopard and xp through vmware fusion only for certain applications for school work and wine for other random windows apps. i have xp installed via bootcamp and run it off the partition in fusion, tho i modified the vmx file to enable suspending sessions even though that feature is normally disabled when not running off a virtual hard disk. since i never actually boot up into bootcamp theres nothing to worry about. also on occasion i use ubuntu on other machines or in vmware when i need some real linux support.