What OS do you run besides OS X on your Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by monkeybagel, Oct 14, 2013.

1. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Just wondering what others run besides OS X? I obviously spend more time in OS X, but also have Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8.1 Enterprise with EFI boot. OS X-wise, I run 10.6.8, 10.8.5, and 10.9.

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have OS X 10.9 on my SSD and Windows 8 Bootcamped on another drive. While I have Windows 8 Bootcamped, I primarily run it in Vmware Fusion and my primary reason for having Windows installed at all is for an app called Newsbin Pro.

I managed to get in on the Microsoft mistake where they were handing out Windows 8 licenses for free, so I said, "what the heck"...

3. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

newsbin pro is the best usenet program .. wish they had a mac version .. what i miss most about windows

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Agreed. There's nothing that comes close to Newsbin. Hopefully, as Macs become more popular, the devs will make a Mac version and I can leave Windows forever.

5. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i recently got a 250gb ssd to load windows on so i can use that and some steam games

6. Fastsavage macrumors member

Fastsavage

OS X 10.8.5 on my Intel SSD plus Windows 7 on a separate drive but run through Parallels, just for those occasions when you need windows....I'm trying to learn Solidworks - no Mac version for that...

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

CostaBunny (my fiancé) runs OSX on a seagate 7200 speed disk and Windows 7 on an intel 520 series SSD.

She also keeps a 75GB partition for testing OS's and occasional use for diagnostics.

I keep my iMac an OSX only zone ;)

8. cal6n, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

My Bootcamp "Windows" points to a Grub boot loader at the root of a separate HDD, where I can select either Windows 7 or Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. It was easy to set up initially but there were problems when I moved OS X to a home-made Fusion Drive. Grub can't understand what a Fusion Drive is and will sit and sulk forever if it encounters one while probing for non-Linux OSs. I ended up manually adding my Windows 7 to the Grub config file and turning off the prober.

I used to have my GID/UIDs set so that both OS X and Linux had full access to my OS X account but Fusion Drive broke that. Now I use Dropbox or a separate scratch disc for working across OSs. If I don't need full GPU acceleration in Linux, then I use 12.04 LTS via Virtual Box, again with the UID/GIDs tweaked.

Windows is only there for the odd occasion when I have to play a game that's not available on OS X.

9. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

For me (when I get mine, very very soon) I'll have Mavericks on the main drive and either Win7 or 8 as bootcamp. My reasoning for that is Visual Studio 2010 programming for Windows apps (I could virtualbox this or something but native is so much nicer).

10. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

PC BSD, Ubuntu, WinXP, Win7, Win8, OS/2, MS DOS 6.22

11. mikeboss, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

have you tried "NZBVortex" on OS X? It does all it needs to do (at least for me). It's available in the Mac App Store.

12. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

No, I've never tried NZBVortex. I'll have a look. Thanks for the info.

13. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

14. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

how is running windows through parallels .. i used it once a few years ago and hated it but it seems it has gotten much better now. The only things I want to do in windows is use newsbin pro .. maybe game a but on steam .. and if I need to update a device that can only use windows

15. tomvos macrumors 6502

tomvos

Native:
    • Mac OS X 10.8
    • Windows 8 (only for games - silly me)

VMWare:
    • Solaris 11
    • Solaris 11.1
    • Debian
    • Windows XP
    • 9Front
    • Icaros
    • Haiku
    • MS-DOS

But it's mainly OS X and Solaris 11.1 in the VM.

16. deezayy macrumors newbie

4,1 flashed to 5,1 Mac Pro
    10.9 and Windows 7 Boot Camp

VirtualBox
    Windows 2008 Server for Blue Iris Security SOftware
    3 Ubuntu VM's for Webserver and other things.

17. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

It works great, it's slightly faster than VMWare fusion 5/6. The interface is more responsive. It supports DirectX / Draw etc. at version 10.xxx

18. aliennerd macrumors member

I have Windows 7 installed on an additional SSD. I also have Windows 98 and XP for playing old games running under Parallels.

19. Quackers macrumors 6502a

OSX 10.8.5, Windows 8 and Ubuntu 13-04 all via EFI. No Bootcamp.
    All on a 256GB SSD :)

20. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Win7, Win2K8 Server, Ubuntu, CentOS

I mostly use the Win7 VM for doing some .NET dev work, the server VMs for doing a little pre-config check, etc, but most of my dev work (Ruby/Rails, Python) bound for Linux I just do on native OSX.

I'm using Parallels 8, works terrific.

SABNZBD is pretty outstanding on OSX, if you just want to deal with NZBs and binary files. It's pretty neat, it's a service that runs, and the UI is handled through a web/browser interface (so you can check the status from any machine via a browser). Very actively developed (it's written in Python), and has some slick automation possibilities (I'm scripted to handle end-to-end, pretty cool), auto unarchive, validity check on downloads, etc.

http://sabnzbd.org

:cool: