What OS To Use on iMac G4 15"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nepgunes, Jun 16, 2009.

1. nepgunes macrumors newbie

nepgunes

Hey Guys,

I have an old iMac G4 sitting in my closet that hasn't been used in 4 years, and is running OS X 10.0. I tried to install 10.5 not realizing that the iMac couldn't handle the power of 10.5, I then just restored it back to factory settings i think which is 10.0. Which OS is best, 10.3? If so, where can I purchase older Operating Systems?

Any ideas on what I should do with this computer, please let me know? I would love to let my parents use it since they don't have one at the moment.

Thanks In Advance,

/B

2. 11800506 macrumors 65816

Depending on the specs such as processor speed, it may be able to run Tiger fairly well. Panther would work as well, but if Tiger runs well, I would want to use the newer OS.

As for where to buy it, you should be able to buy an old copy off of eBay or a similar site.

No matter what you do with it though, I would add as much RAM as the machine can take as it will help speed up the machine quite a lot.

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I would recommend Tiger also - the newer the better. All the iMac G4s at my school run Tiger and they do it well (although I'm not sure of the specs!)

4. nepgunes thread starter macrumors newbie

nepgunes

5. durija macrumors 6502

Another vote for 10.4 Tiger. 2GB of RAM recommended, which might be all your machine can take anyway. Should run nicely.

6. redking31591 macrumors 6502

i run tiger on my imac g3. it is pretty smooth and at the moment I only have 512mb of ram. A g4 should run tiger fine.

7. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I concur with Tiger. Below is a page that lists some possibilities on where to buy it. If you get Tiger from somewhere else, like eBay, be sure to get the full retail version and not a version that shipped with some particular hardware (unless it was your hardware).

http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-mac-os-x-tiger-prices.html

8. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Tiger should run. I had Tiger on a 400MHz G4 with 768MB of RAM and it ran fine. A little slow to boot.

9. nepgunes thread starter macrumors newbie

nepgunes

Thanks for the responses, Found out My Machines Specs:

iMac G4 15" Screen
    Running 0 OS X 10.1.5
    256MB RAM
    Power PC G4

10.4 Has a minimum requirement of 256MB, so I think I will have to upgrade the RAM. Max is 1GB.

I figure I can buy 512MB HERE

Any1 know of a better or cheaper source for upgrading RAM on my specific machine?