What OS version is the minimum needed to install 10.9?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Holte139, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Holte139 macrumors regular

I've heard a few rumours that this OS will need at least 10.7 to be installed. Has this been confirmed yet or will you be able to 'jump' from 10.6 like you could with Mountain Lion last year?

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

3. Holte139 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you, I do wonder when 10.7 will be made the minimum though considering how fast things are moving hardware-wise. I probably won't buy another OS update until we reach that point, or I might even wait until 10.8 is the minimum providing my Mac is still supported at that point. In the early days I wasn't very impressed with 10.8 but since 10.8.3 onwards I've seen big improvements in terms of stability.

4. Mac Write macrumors member

Snow Leopard will be the base requirements so that you can purchase the OS via the App store for at least the next 2-3 years as Snow Leopard didn't come out until 2009. At the rate system requirements are going for the OS, I won't expect Snow Leopard to be the default installed OS until 2015 for all systems (iMac, Mac Pro, Macbook Pro).

5. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

Why would anyone base their OS purchase decision based on what's the minimum OS required for upgrading? :confused::confused:

Apart from any obscure app requiring an old OS X version I see no reason to stay on an old version.

6. Holte139 thread starter macrumors regular

So I can maximise the OS's life without spending money that I don't need to. I'm just trying to get a balance between using a relatively up-to-date OS but not spending silly amounts every year to do so. Maybe the best thing to do would be to treat it like I do my iPhones when my contract expires - upgrade every 2 years!

7. twintin macrumors 6502

Last update costed like 19 USD. Assuming the price is similar for forthcoming updates, is this considered as silly amount of money to spend every year ?

8. benwiggy, Jul 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2013

benwiggy macrumors 68020

Every installer for OS X is a complete standalone package. It does not "update" an existing OS, or require an OS to be present. (You can do a clean install on a new disk without installing a previous OS.)

(OK, There have been a few exceptions to this -- there have been a couple of particular disks that were updaters, requiring an installed earlier version, but not since 10.6 at least. And they weren't the usual disks.)

The only SOFTWARE requirement is 10.6.6, because that gives you access to the Apple Store.

There are of course hardware requirements.

9. HenryDJP macrumors 603

I think you're misunderstanding what the minimum requirements are all about. It has nothing to do with the OS really, to some degree it is but it's really about the system your OS came preinstalled on. For example, systems that came with Panther 10.3 will not be eligible to run the latest version of OS X (other than someone hacking which isn't worth it) therefore you won't be able to install it.

Ex. if the minimum upgrade requirements for Mavericks were Lion and you're on Snow Leopard it doesn't mean you have to install Lion first, then Mountain Lion before you can install Mavericks.

10. Holte139 thread starter macrumors regular

To some degree I would argue yes, especially in the case of computer OSs. My view on the situation is that I was aware of the OS my Mac ran when I bought it, and it still runs fine now. As it runs fine, and can perform all the tasks I need it to, I have no desire to upgrade, therefore it would be 'silly' to buy an upgrade that I don't need when I could put that money towards something I do need.

So in your example I'd be able to just upgrade to Mavericks from Lion? In that case though I'd still have to buy Lion. If I wanted instant access to Mavericks I'd essentially be buying Lion just as a 'host' OS so I could use it to access the upgrade to Mavericks. That's the type of situation I'd try to avoid, but thank you, as I understand things a little better now.

11. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Then why in god's name did you start this thread if you have no intention of upgrading? :confused:

12. twintin macrumors 6502

In don't think you have to upgrade every year, however you won't save any money that way since as far as I know once you upgrade you will have to pay Nx19 where N equals number of upgrades you have skipped so far.

He wants to upgrade, just not every year to save some money. However, the upgrade program does not work that way as far as I know.

13. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

No, he was saying that you don't need to use Lion as a "host" OS. I think you read it wrong. He is saying you can upgrade from snow leopard no problem.

14. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Not True. You can be on 10.6 and buy 10.9 for the same price as if you had 10.8.

Of course, you don't have to upgrade, and there is a lot to be said for keeping a stable system running the same software and leaving it alone. However, new OS versions bring many new features, and new capabilities for other software, or for new versions of software. You may need a new OS if you need to use the latest version of a third-party app, for instance.

New OS versions also bring security fixes that may be lacking on earlier systems, and, sad to say, some bug fixes don't make it into point updates but only get fixed in a new major release.

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Exactly, most people that were on Leopard and wanted to upgrade to Lion had to upgrade to Snow Leopard first because Snow Leopard has the Mac App Store. You had to buy Lion through the Mac App Store. The App Store doesn't necessarily detect which OS you're running an only offers the next upgrade first, it should offer Mavericks to anyone running Lion or Snow Leopard. You can simply download and install without issue. Now whether or not your machine will run it well is a different story. :)

16. twintin, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013

twintin macrumors 6502

But it does check that the hardware requirements are fulfillef. If you are running SL, there is a good probability you won't be able to install the latest OS because of this.

17. HenryDJP macrumors 603

LOL, I'd sure like to know how you took MY quote and used it under another member's username? :D. Those were my words, not his/her's.

But I did also say this, "Now whether or not your machine will run it well is a different story. :)

18. twintin macrumors 6502

If I tell you I have to kill you. ;) :D

19. Holte139 thread starter macrumors regular

Apologies, I should have added 'every year' to the end.

20. Bear macrumors G3

Just being on Snow Leopard currently is not a good indicator. Many machines that shipped with Snow Leopard (and earlier) are still supported by Mavericks.