Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I'm considering getting one because they offer substantial savings and then selling my 2012 once I get it back from Apple as it's one of the 128 GB SSD failures. Also, I have a Time Machine backup from the laptop that failed. Any reason I wouldn't be able to restore it to the new one if I did make the purchase?

dean1012

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
To my knowledge, you shouldn't have a problem doing a time machine restore (do the migration during first boot or run migration assistant after) as it leaves the OS in place and just transfers your files and settings.

RE the OS installed on them, I'd imagine it's either Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

HarryWarden

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
To my knowledge, you shouldn't have a problem doing a time machine restore (do the migration during first boot or run migration assistant after) as it leaves the OS in place and just transfers your files and settings.

RE the OS installed on them, I'd imagine it's either Mountain Lion or Mavericks.

What's the benefit of doing a migration vs. a restore? I tried a migration once before and for some reason, all the imported files were password locked and I couldn't access them even though I imported user settings as well.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
The migration assistant is smart enough to know which files can be copied and which files shouldn't. This allows for easy migration to a new version of MacOSX because it will leave the new system components alone but still copy your preferences and special drivers.

In the past I had problems with this, but moving from 10.5 on my 2008 MBP to 10.7 on my 2011 MBA was virtually flawless. Same experience again moving to 10.8 on my 2013 MBA. I don't know what went wrong with your move before, I never saw a problem like that.

I have been really impressed with this - seems like a big advantage of the Mac vs Windows based on everything I've read. I'm going to need to replace my aging Windows Vista desktop soon and I'm really dreading that transition. :mad:

halledise

macrumors 68000
I'm considering getting one because they offer substantial savings and then selling my 2012 once I get it back from Apple as it's one of the 128 GB SSD failures. Also, I have a Time Machine backup from the laptop that failed. Any reason I wouldn't be able to restore it to the new one if I did make the purchase?

refurbs should come with Mavericks - if not, then it'll be a free upgrade.

the machine you'll receive will have had a fresh erase and install and thus will be nice and snappy.

as for TM backup, the answer to your question is a 'yes' - but why not consider a manual dropping into place that which you really need (by way of Documents, Movies, Music, Photos, etc - thus preserving space and of course you still have a compete backup available of all your old stuff and won't be inheriting any 'problems' that you may have had on your old machine … just a thought)

You can also then reinstall any additional Applications you may have had. Most can simply be dragged over into your new Applications folder and will run quite happily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.