What OSX Version to update old MBP to?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dusk007, Aug 17, 2015.

1. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

I got some friends who run really old OSX versions (pre snow leopard) and some things like Skype don't work anymore because the software refuses to work on such an old OS.
    Given that it is old slow hardware which OSX version to you think I should update them to. One is already a unibody 13" and the other is still running Tiger.
    I thought snow leopard but that is still quite old.

What do you guys think?
    Yosemite gives my old 2010 15" troubles so I guess that would completely freeze such old hardware.

2. makinao, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015

makinao macrumors regular

10.10.5 is not giving my 2009 pre-unibody White Macbook problems. Its got 4gb RAM and a 500gb 5400 HD.

3. FelipeNemr macrumors newbie

If they are supported, take them all the way to the El Captain betas, upgrading to it was a huge perfmance boost for my 13" 2011 MPB and it is a lot better than Yosemite, if they can't upgrade that far take them to either moutain lion or snow leopard.

4. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

Maybe I just wait for El Capitan then.
    Where would I get a El Cap image and would that turn into a normal El Cap via updates eventually. They only use it for IM, email and web surfing. They are complete non techies and as such I don't want to do anything that requires any extra work besides the one time I will take time to fix everything up.
    I don't have an Apple Dev Account.

5. Ebenezum macrumors 6502a

I recommend Snow Leopard. While it doesn't get security updates it is much faster on older Macs compared to newer OS X versions. If you install browser which is updated regularly it should be safe provided your friends use their heads when browsing.

If security updates are must another option is Mountain Lion or Mavericks, provided that their Macs meet its requirements.

Yosemite is in my opinion bad idea on older Macs because it´s slower than Mavericks and most of its features won´t work.

In theory 10.11 El Capitan should be faster on older Macs but since your friends are non techies installing BETA software is very bad idea, its better to wait until 10.11 has been updated to 10.11.2 or .3 since worst bugs should have been fixed at that point. You can find El Capitan Beta here.

6. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

Snow leopard is what I thought too. Software should support it enough to work and it is otherwise the least demanding.
    I doubt security is much of an issue.
    I hope I can find my old OSX install DVD and it works on the 13inchers even though it was part of my 2010 15".

I also doubt that El Capitan is really much faster. Metal really helps not much if the GPU is the weak point and not the CPU. Other improvements will be some but not enough to turn Yosemite into something that runs well on Core 2 Duos.

7. Fishrrman macrumors G3

My 2010 MacBook Pro 13" is still running fine with 10.6.8. I swapped the HDD for an SSD, and it now boots in 5 seconds (from the apple to the finder).

It also does well with 10.8.5 (but 10.6.8 is still my "main OS" on it).

I have no plans to try to "take it any further"... absolutely no need to.

8. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

If you can't find the install DVD, Snow Leopard DVD costs $25 from the Apple Online Store. I think the same goes for Lion / Mt Lion.

9. MacFrag macrumors member

MacFrag

I love Snow Leopard, but no security updates is a big no no for me.

10. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

Is it really that big of an issue if you use an updated browser and don't download and dodgy stuff. You can even go as far as using a different mail app, itunes... etc

11. MacFrag macrumors member

MacFrag

Would not want to use Windows XP either in that user case scenario that you are describing.

But for some they have no choice. Its either Snow Leopard or new hardware :(

12. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

Security wise I wouldn't want to use Windows XP anymore either, but I would have thought the risk to Snow Leopard users would be quite small, especially when taking the measures mentioned in my previous post.

13. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

I don't think security is going to be an issue. There are no worms in the wild that you can catch just by connecting to a network. Neither has any worthwhile data on the system that is really much of an attack target. And neither downloads and installs stuff that is malware infested.

14. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

15. dusk007 thread starter macrumors 68040

dusk007

I doubt they want to pay for that. These things aren't worth enough to waste any money on. If you don't multitask an SSD isn't that great anyway. If everything sits in RAM and you only go in and out of standby a SSD does little for you.

16. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I disagree. An SSD really woke up my pre unibody white MacBook.

To op: buy a small one, even used and you will see nice gains.

17. adam9c1, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015

adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

I even have a old iMac I use to steam online radio. It's a core duo 17" white plastic. It has a SSD and was very good at streaming that and occasional YouTube search, up to about few months ago. I still use it as is to listen to music in garage or look something up (how to fix).

I think that machine is running Lion (the newest it can)

18. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

All early Intel Macs can run Snow Leopard, which is still a great OS with good software support.

As mentioned, there are no more security updates for it but you do at least get access to current(up-to-date and secure) web browsers.

I'm a big Leopard advocate for PPC systems, but there's no reason to run it on an Intel Mac. Interestingly enough, software support(including up to date web browsers) is better for Leopard on PPC systems than on Intel systems.

Most Intel Macs can officially run Lion(the exception are the first generation CoreDuo systems), and most anything that can run Lion will run Mountain Lion just about as well although it's not necessarily a straight forward upgrade. At least for a few more months, ML will be getting security updates. I'm running ML at the moment on my Black Macbook(late '07) and my iMac 5,2(late 2006) and it runs reasonably well despite the GPU and other limitations in these computers. Both are quite useable, and the Blackbook is even fairly peppy with 4gb of RAM and an SSD.

Mavericks is currently my "default" OS, and is what I'm using on my main daily use Intel computers. It runs great on my mid-2012 15" MBP(platter drive), late '11 13" MBP(platter drive) an Mac Pro 1,1(SSD). I have Yosemite installed on a couple of computers, but have to say I like the El Capitan betas better than I ever did Yosemite. I'll likely at least install El Capitan on my Mac Pro once the final version drops. I have El Capitan beta in a second partition on my 15" MBP.