What other precautions to take when buying a lightning cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by 6thDAY, Jul 28, 2014.

1. 6thDAY macrumors 6502a

Hello guys, the outer plastic shell of the lightning cable for my 5 is torn off, exposing the wires.

I'm looking to buy a genuine apple one on craigslist.

I have looked here to spot a fake vs genuine cable:
    http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/10/05/tell-difference-genuine-fake-lightning-cable/

I will bring along my cable to compare.

Besides checking the pins, usb plug, and text on the cable as mentioned in the article, what else should I test to make sure it's genuine?

I will also plug it into my laptop to ensure it charges and that itunes recognizes the device.

Thanks

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Get a monoprice wire.
    It's cheaper than Apples wires, mfi certified and with lifetime warranty.
    If it ever fails send them a pic and they will mail you another one next day.

3. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

Lightning cable is discontinued. Much to my dismay. I've gone through 5 lightning cables, they just fail. No fray, no kink. They either corrode, or just stop connecting.

4. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

I've had one for two years now and it's just fine.

The reason it frays is because you're tugging on the cable itself when you take it out of a device. But you don't want to do that, because the strain builds up over time on the cable itself. You want to pull from the actual plastic tip of the connector. It will NOT fray when you pull it out correctly.

I can assure you of one thing, you didn't buy 5 defective cables. It's not a particularly resilient cable but if you pull it out correctly and make sure that there are no strains or stresses acting upon it then it will last as long as you need it to last.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure what that means?
    The lightning cables are discontinued? By who?

6. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

7. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

I said no kinks, and no frays. I'm not "tugging on the cable". I assure you, I've bought 5 defective cables.

----------

I stand corrected. I couldn't find any purchasable ones. Thanks.

8. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

LOL. You are either the unluckiest man to ever live, or, you're buying defective cables from some ripoff company. I deal with a lot of lightning cables, and the only ones I see that just fail are cheap ones from third party companies.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Or he abuses them to the max and just expects them to last or work under any conditions.
    Its always the wires or the products fault:D

10. Enabledobject, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014

Enabledobject macrumors 6502

Enabledobject

I'm not so sure. I still have the 4s myself so I have no personal experience, but on the apple store app the feedback about the genuine apple lightning cable is horrendous. They seem to have quite a high failure rate. Like, seriously, one and a half stars out of five and around 1500 reviews. That's bad. Surprised to see apple let this go.

11. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Haha amen to that!

It's people who tug on the cable itself when pulling it out of the device, which is always a no-no with cables. Then when the cable fails, they blame the cable.

12. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

The tension in the cable on the Apple Lightning connector was so twisted from new that it frayed eventually and I was always careful not to pull the wire, only the connectors. It lasted over a year before failing to connect.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If you really want to take no chances, get a real one from Apple.

I have been using iPhones from the first one and have never had the first cable stop working. I don't even take my cables out of the box anymore as the same cable has lasted for a couple of years.

14. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Where do the cables corrode? That's a big issue. If you can post a pic, please do.

15. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

How did the cable get so twisted?:confused:

16. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It had tension in the cable from new. I think whoever (or whatever if it's automated) wrapped up the cable before putting in the packaging with the iphone wound it too tight.

17. AlphaHumanus macrumors 6502

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/03/04/lightning-cable-corrosion/

They look just like that. I'm actually quite careful with my cables. It's not something I enjoy doing, going to the apple store and getting them replaced.

18. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Is Apple packaging their cables differently now?

The ones I've unpackaged always come coiled, not wrapped, and bound by a clear plastic band.

Cables should be gathered and coiled, not wound or wrapped. Wrapping cables around objects often puts a twist on them. Although Apple kinda encourages this with the wings on the Magsafe adapters, it's not a good idea.

One might be able to get away with it on larger cables (such as the one on my vacuum cleaner, where the wires can clearly be seen twisting under the jacket from repeatedly being wound around two pegs), but small cables like these are much more vulnerable.

The nature of these things is not that robust to begin with. Many people mistreat or mishandle them, which makes it even worse. Some are just rough on their stuff, no matter what it is.

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

You should never cheap out when it comes to replacing genuine charging accessories. Because you can end up with a cheaply made cable that could potentially be a fire hazard or worse, electrocute you. But hey, what do I know.