What PDA do you guys recommend for the mac user?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rodami, Jan 2, 2009.

1. rodami macrumors newbie

What pda do you guys recommend? I was thinking of maybe getting an iPod touch and get apps, but from reviews and other stuff i have read, it still doesn't fully replace the PDA, so what do you guys recommend??

2. rogers106 macrumors member

My first reaction was to recommend an iPod Touch... it is definitely the easiest to sync with a Mac, especially with MobileMe.

It is also (in a way) highly customizable. The sky truly is the limit as far as functionality is concerned... whereas there is only so much a Palm, etc. can do with their OEM software and limited (or lack of?) ability to install applications, etc.

I guess I could answer your question with a question: why not an iPod Touch? Anything specifically?

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

You might really want to look at the Touch (or even the iPhone), depending on what you plan on using it for. For contacts, e-mail, browsing and simple calendar events I find it totally adequate, though 'power' PDA users will point out that some of the more sophisticated PDA features are missing. Even though the Touch is an 'iPod', I use mine for music a small percentage of the time compared to how much I use it for PDA type operations. It's a pretty remarkable device, and the interface is really nice. What PDA functions are you most interested in?

4. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Yea I have the iPhone and I barely listen to music, I use email and Facebook a lot and play the occasional game.

ChrisN

5. rodami thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I would use it mostly for reading documents, books, and hold reference books, and files, probably powerpoint files too and word, pdf, and those palm books. I was planning to use it for clinical rotations and I saw some pretty cool apps for it for use on the hospital and that, looks pretty cool actually. The only thing is that the ipod touch doesn't bluetooth or other stuffthat would make it more convenient, also, I dont know if typing on it is good or easy.

6. rodami thread starter macrumors newbie

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I think that the one big question that you need to ask yourself, is your PDA a primary way to enter or view data.

For viewing data, the iPod touch or iPhone work well.

For entering data, they both are limited as to what you can do. Although there are work arounds in some cases that makes things easy to do.

You can view Word, Excel, PowerPoint and PDF attachments received via e-mail. Or by using one of the particular file transfer apps, you can transfer these types of documents directly to your iPhone/touch for viewing.

In the case of PowerPoint, there is a very nice work around that works well. After creating your PowerPoint presentation, export it as JPGs. Then import the JPGs into iPhoto. Arrange them if need be. Then sync to your iPhone/touch. Now you can view your presentation right on your device.

Currently there is no Word file type editor, so you cannot change your document. However, you can put text into NOTES. Then e-mail the notes to your desktop. Then cut and paste the text into your Word document on your desktop computer. Not as nice as being able to directly edit a Word document, but a decent work around.

If you have some specific apps that you want to use, that would help us provide you a better answer to your question.

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I am in the same position as you (looking for a PDA to use with my Mac) and I decided to go with the iPhone. I know they're quite expensive (£342 on PAYG in UK), but when comparing it to the cost of other PDA's and the additional cost of phone (and iPod touch functions), it's an absolute bargain.

9. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

well I think that a large part of the equation is the ability to sync with OSX. If this wasn't the need then there are may more options but you could pick up a second hand or refurb 8gigger for relatively cheap and be on your way in minutes. The App store looks to be the way things will be going for mobile devices so any new funtionality will find its way there very soon.

For refrence - i use Air sharing for all files and use mobilefiles to sync with my mobileme account.

As has been stated about what apps you would like to use, if you are not sure then what functionality would you like/expect the device to have. There are no so many apps out there that it might exist and you not realise it

oh and its probably one of the most integrated and revolutionary devices to come out of cupertino

D:apple:

10. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Best one IMHO would be an iPhone simply for its compatability. I have a Blackberry which is hair pullingly frustrating to sync with the Mac - have used the third party sync software and it doesn't seem to work for me.

11. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

I agree, the first though that comes to my mind is the iphone.