What PDA should I get being a Mac user?? any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rodami, Nov 13, 2008.

1. rodami macrumors newbie

I know Apple doesn't make PDAs as of now, but I'm gonna need one soom for clinical rotations and other stuff for school and such (med student), anyways, I've never owned one and I really don't know where else to ask, so do you guys recommend any models? Preferably compatible with mac? (If its any help, I own a MBP). I know PDAs have their own operating system and such, so do you guys own any, and if you do, what do you recommend, etc, thanks for the help.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

3. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The iPod Touch can be a great PDA although it does lack some crucial PDA functionality.

I hear the HP iPaq isn't bad :)

4. MSD401 macrumors 6502

MSD401

not sure of a model but I know that most medical programs seem to be palm os based as opposed to windows mobile so that might change your search.....

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would look into getting a smartphone if I were you. The integration means you have one less thing to carry. Also, what kind of medical software to you want to have on it. I would look into some programs/applications and figure out which ones you want and what operating systems they work on.

Good luck.:)

6. rodami thread starter macrumors newbie

yeaahh, I was thinking about an iPod touch, with all its cool applications and stuff, but that ipod is more for entertainment purposes and I would prefer something thats more document/application orientated. Mostly it would be to carry books in it, (Im not sure if they are ebooks or what format), for consult, and I guess special palm software. Anybody know a site where they explain all this? wikipedia? Anyway, I apprecciate all your help and answers, thank you very much. :)

7. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

With the App Store, the iPod touch can carry books, documents, etc. It has great integration with the Mac too. If I was looking for a PDA that is Mac compatible that's what I'd get. You can get your mail on it, keep calendars, jot down notes, etc. Exactly like a PDA.

8. mtnbikerva1 macrumors member

look into the IPhone

As time goes on I think more and more apps for you will appear. I spoke with one of the medical app Co. a few months ago and I felt like they would really start developing for the IPhone.
    I have one and I enjoy it. None are perfect but with what I know it seems to be much better than the Palm for quality from what I have read. Palm used to be the leader for medical apps. Windows in my opinion is a pain in the as*!
    I like Apples customer service! The Apple Company just seems to be better in most ways vs others. The operating system is stable and very well thought out compared to others. I think due to the growth of sales Apple will be hard to ignore.
    Good luck! Do not forget about the human touch and empathy!
    Apple NEEEDS TO EITHER DEV. OR LET OTHERS DEV. A VERY GOOD WORD PROCESSING PACKAGE FOR THE IPHONE IN MY OPINION.
    All though typing with the keypad could be a deterrent for some. We do not have cut and paste yet!
    Maybe a external keyboard could be a great implement.

9. rodami thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, I've been checking the app store and there are some pretty cool medical and helth apps there, there also seems to be documents and book ones. Im actually kind of thinking of getting and iPod touch now, anybody has any personal experience on using the iPod touch as a PDA? It looks pretty cool actually.

10. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

My iPhone is like a glorified PDA (with a phone of course). The iPod touch is nearly identical to the iPhone.

11. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

I, too, am searching for a replacement for a dead Palm & have considered the iPod Touch.
    With the App store now available (compared to 1st Gen iPod Touch), I thought the things that were missing might be available there.

What functions do you think it still lacks to be a capable PDA?

12. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    My wife uses her Dell Axim X51V, she uses Pocket Mac to Sync it to her BMB. She also tried Missing Sync, but prefers Pocket Mac

13. rodami thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess document editing, and powerpoint editing along with word, unless thats already available as an app? I'm not that sure, anybody know?

14. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I would also vote for the Touch. There are a lot of applications for it and more coming every day. Ebooks? no problem.

If you need to get a more "business" PDA, your choices are few because outside of very rugged devices intended for field workers, most PDA functions are taken care of by phones these days such as the iPhone, Blackberry or Windows Mobile Phones.

There are some choices though, HP still makes an Ipaq line and there is a model that also has an integrated TomTom GPS. With programs like Missing Sync from MarkSpace you can sync Windows Mobile devices with your Mac.

15. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I have two HP iPAQs, my most recent being a $300 111 I purchased in Feb this year and have always been an iPAQ user. It worked with my Mac decently, but many iTunes songs wouldn't work on it.

When I bought my new MacBook in August this year, I got a free iPod Touch with it and now I rarely touch the iPAQs. The iPod Touch can do nearly everything they can do and more.