What people will do when a 3G iPhone becomes available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by t0mat0, Apr 25, 2008.

?

3G iPhone - what will you do when it comes out?

1. Upgrade from their current iPhone

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Sell old iPhone, buy new one

21 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. Get an iPhone as the main device

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Get an iPhone to compliment other device(s)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Not get one

14 vote(s)
    16.3%
  6. Other

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  1. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

A quick tally of what people will do when the 3G iPhone comes out:

- Upgrade from their current iPhone
    - Sell their old handset and get a new one
    - Swap to an iPhone
    - Get an iPhone as a main phone
    - Get an iPhone to compliment their current device(s)
    - Other

Please feel free to describe your situation :)

Are you holding out for a while, till your country has iPhone, or buying on the first day it's released? Going to watch the keynote in an Apple store? :)

2. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

Already sold to make sure I didn't take a loss and using my cheapo Nokia for a few months. Bought 8GB for $400 and sold used 8 months later for $400. Got to love eBay.

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

How about those who will keep their existing iPhone until their existing contract runs out — another 12 months in my case — and then upgrade…

I guess that must be *Other* then. :)

4. cube macrumors G4

Not get one because it will most probably still be behind Nokia in included wireless technologies.

5. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

hehe - yeah, I kinda realised there were a lot of permutations, just wanted to cover the main ones :)
    It's good to hear the different plans and reasons too. I'd imagine that some might upgrade early on mid contract, and restart a 18 month/2 year contract to get the new handset.

6. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

You can upgrade to the new iPhone without being tied down to a contract hence no subsidy discount.

7. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Yes, I am aware of that. ;) Thanks anyway. :D

However. That is not the reason why I would not be upgrading immediately…
    I may be upgrading at the end of my 18 month contract… just… well because I feel like it. Of course if the new iPhone turns out to be an absolute must have then I certainly will jump the gun.

But right now it seems quite OK with ver 2.0.

8. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

... this poll is flawed!

I think many people including myself will keep our 2G iPhones untill they die, then buy the newest one

If the only difference is speed of the internet/hdd size there is no reason to really switch as there are soo many hotspots arround... and the 2G really isnt that slow

9. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm sure you can sim swap to use the new handset. Without having to renew contract.

10. t0mat0 thread starter macrumors 603

t0mat0

Aye - I imagine so - i'm guessing you just buy a phone from Apple and finish off your old contract, or renew a contract. It depends what the incentives are. Will there be specific iPhone related contracts with specific better data rates?

If they want new contracts, the networks are going to have to have a decent set of options for the consumer. We hope...

11. cmcbridejr macrumors 6502a

cmcbridejr

I will probably upgrade and give my current 8GB iPhone to my girlfriend.

I bought her a Mac last year and she loves it. Now that she is hooked, I know that she has been wanting an iPhone.

12. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I love my iPhone but it might as well be an iPod touch for the fact that i live in a dead zone and don't end up using EDGE anyway. I use the iPhone's surfing capabilities almost exclusively on WiFi. I think I have less than 20Mb lifetime EDGE data received on the iPhone, after ten months...

So, since I did also later buy an iPod touch, and have several other cell phones, the days of my owning an iPhone are probably limited by the time left on its current ATT contract.

But if any carrier finally built a cell tower that my house could see, I'd get another iPhone. It's undeniably wonderful to have data, entertainment and phone / internet capability in one device, so flexible because of the touch interface. And that screen is so great for video.

I just need some elected official to buy a vacation home this side of the local mountains and see how long it takes Verizon or ATT to stick a tower someplace handy to that guy's back porch...

13. lindsaykaye04 macrumors member

I put Other.

Since I'm a college student, I am in WiFi nearly all of the time, and I don't use the internet much when I'm not on campus (don't have time to use it at work and when I go out with friends, it's the last thing on my mind).

When I graduate next year, I will consider upgrading. I bought this phone a month and a half ago when I knew 3G was coming soon... but it just wasn't an issue considering my circumstances.

Unless there is some huge change in the new iPhone I can't live without, I don't anticipate buying it.

14. Trip.Tucker Guest

*sniff sniff* Got bait?

15. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

I will use both with two different numbers.. One will be corporate which will be filled with 8GB of contacts, emails, and podcasts.. and the my new 32GB 3G iPhone will be my iPod and personal phone.. love my iPhone and will not make it redundant..

16. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

I just got my iPhone yesterday after becoming addicted to this technology with an iPod Touch since Xmas. I must say, I kinda hope the new 3G model doesn't come out soon so I don't kick myself for pulling the trigger on my new baby. I'm also not that convinced of the superiority of 3G. Like has been stated before, I'm primarily around WIFI most of the time, and just need EDGE to check email or use Maps when not in a network.

I'm more worried about a new version bringing a lot more features and a sexier body than the first gen. I still think that though a 3g might be announced in June, it's not going to be hitting the stores until the Fall or Winter.

17. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I haven't decided yet, but will wait and see exactly what the features are on the new version of the iPhone.... I adore my current 8 GB iPhone and use it every day, which is something I certainly never did with my old cell phone. I use the iPhone mostly for the web, both on WiFi and EDGE. Chances are that unless the new features are absolutely compelling that I'll just continue to use my current iPhone until the contract runs out or until the phone itself starts exhibiting problems.....