What percentage of iPhone/Touch users don't use iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by t0mat0, Apr 24, 2010.

1. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Are there any data/ statistics to show how many Touch/iPhone users don't user iTunes at all?

I'm wondering whether a>100MB app size would be too big these days, and alienate many Touch and iPhone users? (Do many users actually attempt to download >100MB apps over wifi? Or just not buy the app?)

2. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

well i have 2 people where i work who have iphones that don't even have computers. every update they ask me to install it for them. they download an ocassional free app.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My wife doesn't. There are also a couple of people at work who have iPhones and don't use itunes as well.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm sure there's plenty of people who have their phones activated in-store that don't even know what iTunes is.

At the same time, there's people like me who rely heavily on iTunes for backup/media management purposes.

If I had to guess, I'd say the former are probably more numerous.

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Wow, I can't even imagine people not using iTunes.... No updates, no songs, no calendar sync, no photo sync, no backups, no contacts sync.... It just seems so unreal to me. haha.

6. pintnight macrumors 6502

I hate iTunes with a passion! But, I'm forced to using iTunes to sync my contacts, calendar, photos and music.

Every now and then iTunes will just delete all my photos off my iPhone, except for the camera roll. And every now and then iTunes screws up my playlist or screw up the MP3 files (I will not use AAC and I don't buy music from Apple, Amazon is the place to buy since there is no DMA and yes, I know Apple allow non-DMA AAC songs).

7. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Many many of our clients have iPhones and never use iTunes

I was setting up a guys phone with a new email account, and I was trying to copy something, but I couldn't ...

He didn't have 3.0 ....

I Asked him do you sync via iTunes...

his response "i What?"

Anywho, I loaded up iTunes and downloaded 3.0 for him. He was much happier.

8. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I also hate iTunes. I use it very rarely, only to update s/w or pictures or podcasts. I haven't connected to iTunes since the last update.

iTunes has evolved into so much more than a music store that Apple originally envisioned, it's name needs to change to iStore or iMedia etc.

9. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I'm definitely not a fan of iTunes, but I do use it simply so I can get my music on and update the iPhone. I do know of some people who don't use it though, my aunt and uncle for example.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I don't use iTunes except for updates.

I sync contacts and calendar on all my devices (iPOS, RIM, WM, WebOS) via Google Sync.

11. eaglesteve macrumors 6502

I need iTune. Lets me rip music off my CD collection and sync to the phone easily.

I do periodic backup and sync. No better tools for this than iTune.

Of course, firmware updates always require it.

12. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

I like iTunes a lot. It keeps things in one central location. Backing up the folder itself is as simple as copying it to an external so if I ever have to reformat or change my system, no worries. I don't have to deal with DRM with my movies in iTunes when I do that either. I just authorize my machine. Smooth and simple.

Windows media on the other hand is atrocious! No thanks!

13. -Leigh- macrumors member

iTunes is a pain in the ass.

I use it when I have to. It usually seems to wipe all my contacts off my phone, and the latest 9.1 version kept crashing on sync and wouldn't restore my phone. I had to downgrade back to 9.0.3 to get the phone working again.

The next time I will use iTunes is when OS4 is out.

14. Mr dj mo macrumors member

I completely agree with you, I hate ITunes too it's so clunky and unresponsive on my PC.

And I also use Amazon for my downloads a lot cheaper and better deals than iTunes.

15. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

I use iTunes all the time on my computers but I very rarely connect my iPhone to iTunes. I have start iTunes when iPhone is connected disabled so I only ever sync when a new firmware is released. I have no music on my iPhone, I have an itouch and nano for that, have never used my calendar, have never synced photos to my computer and have never synced contacts from my computer to my iPhone. Calling it underutilization of the phone but I couldn't be happier. I've never synced a phone before this and I don't really see the need.