What percentage of people do you think use forums ?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by max2, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Zenithal macrumors 604

Have kids and then tease her for using Mumsnet.

2. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

We’ve had 2 but it was me that used that lol.

3. Zenithal macrumors 604

The IQ of some on there is... well, I'll let you fill in the blanks. And that was before the dinosaur incident. It was around 2003 or 2004 when the site name became a verb meant to insult people online talking about mundane things in the middle of an otherwise serious thread.

4. Janichsan, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019

Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

Depends on what you mean by "using the forum".

A rule of thumb that I've seen is that only about 1 in 10 visitors/users sign up to a specific community and of those, only 1 in 10 actively participate. Passive, anonymous readers are always the majority.

5. SRLMJ23 Contributor

SRLMJ23

I would say the percentage is not that high. Take this forum for example, out of the massive amount of Apple users, percentage wise it is probably very low. However, you have to take into account that a forum like this is generally for more advanced Apple users as where the average everyday Apple user really has no use for these forums. Obviously I know there are exceptions such as beginning users who want to learn how to become a more advanced user of Apple products, but I would guess the percentage of users like that are also very, very low.

Just my personal opinion on this. If you include social media, which I do not consider a forum (like this) well then obviously the percentage would spike massively.

:apple:

6. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 604

The-Real-Deal82

I can’t say I really got too involved on there. I asked a few questions and did see a few people looking for fights but I wasn’t there for long term use, just quick advice. Every parent thinks they do it right though, so it’s a recipe for conflict on a forum lol.

My friends wouldn’t get the concept of talking about iPhones online. I’ve noticed the excitement for phones decline in recent years and I know very few people who get excited for new smartphones. They’ve become a necessary and run of the mill item which the majority of people own. When I think I pretty much do the same things on my 8+ that I did on my 6S, I’m sure it’s become standard for most people. We are a rare breed now I think. lol

7. Zenithal macrumors 604

I can see what you're saying. I sometimes still post on other forums. Usually about obscure or very niche hobbies. Such as flashlights. Your mate would think I'm right mental.

The fishing forums get a bit depressing. A lot of the more active posters were getting up in there in years and I sometimes hop in after not visiting for months or years and find out they passed. Bummer.

8. jagolden macrumors 6502a

jagolden

Much as I enjoy the occasional MR post on FB, I much prefer to come to and use the MR forum site.
    FB is really for social media and that’s how it should stay.
    Nothing bothers me more on FB than when you start reading a post and have to click the "more" link. And when you do you get literally a tome of text that really belongs on a blog or a standard forum.
    --- Post Merged, May 20, 2019 ---
    As mundane or just plain stupid many of the posts are on FB, there are some redeeming pages.

There are two very good groups dealing with Affinity Photo and Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Very good sharing of information, and so far, no BS posts.

9. Nhwhazup macrumors 68020

Nhwhazup

I love forums as I feel that I can get real information on a topic from others with more knowledge than me. Usually I’ll join a forum to gain knowledge on something and then don’t go back. MacRumors has been just the opposite - been a member for a while and like to see what the others are chatting about.

10. SalisburySam macrumors member

SalisburySam

My thoughts: people are led to the forum through an Internet search to rectify a specific issue they’re having with an Apple something. They come, see a bit of what’s available here, and stay. It’s what happened to me. If that’s true for others, that would imply that few of the Apple owners use the forums just because they are Apple owners.

11. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

What's bizarre are the members who aren't Apple owners or users - the "sizzling noise in my neck" thread being the oddest example.

12. Strider64 macrumors 6502a

Strider64

I used to run a BBS (Bulletin Board Service) before the Internet became popular and once on the internet I joined forums before I joined any Social Media website. My first forum I joined was PCMech.com which is no longer up and running. I belong to many forums of various types (programming, photography, computers, etc...) and I prefer them over Facebook or any other Social Network. For one forums are split in categories which makes it easier to find what interests you the most. Facebook it's like a hit and miss as while they might be topic oriented the discussion can be all over the map. Forums are moderated and trolls normally have a hard time surviving very long on them. Whereas, Social Media is like the old Wild Wild West where practically anything goes and it seems to be a haven for trolls.

Getting back to running and using a BBS, I have to say it was really fun back in those days as broadband was just a pipe dream and downloading a 70K file seem quick when using a 1200 baud modem. Some young people today would go into cardiac arrest if they had to use a 300 or 1200 baud modem. Which brings to a funny little story, I was complaining have to use a 300 baud modem on my bbs when a person replied "You thought you had it bad, trying using a 124 1/2 baud modem". At first I thought he was pulling my leg, but after checking out he was right. BTW 1/2 meant it was asynchronous meaning it was one way transmission at a time. I learn my lesson as there is always a person out there that has used something slower than you when it comes to computers. ;):)

13. Zenithal macrumors 604

Really? The bloke who wanted to chip his kids with GPS trackers wasn't weird to you at all?

14. Sword86 macrumors regular

Out of the people I know, virtually none go to forums. I find this almost unbelievable considering I have registered and posted on probably two or three dozen over the years. This one is pretty much the sole  forum I use but I am registered to one or two others. Any interests I have, I’m into forums related to them. S

15. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Good lord, I forgot about that! That's the top for bizarre.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

If I decide to chip my kids is to provide electric shocks whenever I deem it necessary.

17. Zenithal macrumors 604

Just sing Felicita acapella when picking your kids up from school. In front of their friends. Or threaten to do so. Or if they really piss you off, show up with your dress shirt open at the top, chest hair puffing out, eating pasta from a deep Glad container and singing to Cotugno's l'Italiano while wearing your Airpods. Gold pinky ring and watch for added torture.

I'm sure most teenagers may consider this an act of war in reference to the Geneva Conventions, but I digress.

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Your knowledge of old Italian popular music is astounding and... somewhat disturbing! :eek::p

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

This is pretty much my exact experience with MR. Got interested in the iPod and eventually the PB G4. Found out that the PowerMac had gone G5 and stumbled on MR wondering when the Powerbook would also go G5 (I heard it's coming next Tuesday.)

Posted a lot at first to ask advice, then to give advice, now I only mostly only read & post to the community threads.

20. Zenithal macrumors 604

I have quite the affection for music from the 60s up until the 90s.

21. Tech198 macrumors G5

I guess Facebook could be popular now but forums always have a place...