Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gordosuperfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
I really love the portability of the 13" but I think I may miss the graphics card you get with the 15...

That being the case, I don't do a ton of video... very minimal. Mostly a ton of aperture/lightroom/photoshop and design work. I can't imagine the graphics card being used a terrible amount there but what is your thoughts? Also, it is it more draining on the 13" to be hooked up to a 5k?

Finally, I know the 13" essentially blocks you out of any gaming, like with sim city 5 or Civ 6, right? I like my games at at least moderate to high graphics... Otherwise, whats the point?

Thanks!

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Hello gordosuperfly,

I'm not really sure I understand your question, but the 15" has quad-core CPUs rather than dual-core in the 13". That alone makes for a pretty big difference. They also come with 16 GB of RAM base and a dedicated GPU.

It all adds up to a notable step up in overall performance.

I would imagine it's more taxing on the 13" to output 5k due to the integrated graphics, but I think it would only really be noticeable when you're doing something that eats up GPU at the same time (such as video editing or gaming). Normal desktop usage should be similar.

Reactions: linguist

gordosuperfly

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Hello gordosuperfly,

I'm not really sure I understand your question, but the 15" has quad-core CPUs rather than dual-core in the 13". That alone makes for a pretty big difference. They also come with 16 GB of RAM base and a dedicated GPU.

It all adds up to a notable step up in overall performance.

I would imagine it's more taxing on the 13" to output 5k due to the integrated graphics, but I think it would only really be noticeable when you're doing something that eats up GPU at the same time (such as video editing or gaming). Normal desktop usage should be similar.

Thanks for the reply! I understand the quad core does give some boost doing some applications but I guess I wondering from the standpoint of aperture, lightroom, photoshop-- would there be a significant difference due to the graphics card. Assuming you have a 13" with 16gb of ram...

matthewh133

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2016
Thanks for the reply! I understand the quad core does give some boost doing some applications but I guess I wondering from the standpoint of aperture, lightroom, photoshop-- would there be a significant difference due to the graphics card. Assuming you have a 13" with 16gb of ram...

There's a pretty big difference. My wife has the 13" mid 2015 and the 15" I tried was notably faster while sorting through photos and doing taxing filters etc.

littlepud

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
The quad and 16 GB is much more flexible when working with virtual machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.