Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Here
So I have been without a phone for a while. I was intending to buy a Mytouch 3G on launch. But now looking at upcoming phones, I'm having doubts. So I am looking for advice from you guys. I am limited to Sprint and T-Mobile so keep that in mind. I would like to get an android phone, but am open to suggestion. And I really dont want a Blackberry because i had an old 8100 Pearl, and i wasnt impressed.

Thanks

ian.maffett

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2008
Florida
I'm not a huge fan of Blackberry myself but I had a bold and it really wasn't that bad. Storm is something to steer clear of, though, in my opinion and that of a close friend who owns one...

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
If it were me (and it is in a way, I am in the deciding stages for phones) I would wait and see what comes out in the next few months. There are a lot of handsets due to come out for the Android platform. HTC Hero looks pretty nifty. My husband has an HTC Magic and I really like it. It's bare-bones compared to what is probably going to roll out but it's still a great piece of tech.

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Here
I'm not a huge fan of Blackberry myself but I had a bold and it really wasn't that bad. Storm is something to steer clear of, though, in my opinion and that of a close friend who owns one...

What carrier is it on?

If it were me (and it is in a way, I am in the deciding stages for phones) I would wait and see what comes out in the next few months. There are a lot of handsets due to come out for the Android platform. HTC Hero looks pretty nifty. My husband has an HTC Magic and I really like it. It's bare-bones compared to what is probably going to roll out but it's still a great piece of tech.

Actually the HTC Hero was the reason I'm doubting the mytouch, which is Magic. I am willing to just get a cheap phone to last untill *then*, but I don't want to wait 3 months then have the Hero come out on AT&T. And I read somwhere that TMobile will not get it. But Sprint is still possible.
*By then I mean when the HTC Hero will come to the US.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
Actually the HTC Hero was the reason I'm doubting the mytouch. I am willing to just get a cheap phone to last untill then, but I don't want to wait 3 months then have the Hero come out on AT&T. And I read somwhere that TMobile will not get it. But Sprint is still possible.

Oh that would be a drag to wait specifically for it and find it on another carrier. Rumour has it there should be a lot of new Android handsets due out later this year, so if you can settle for a cheapy phone for now then you can make a more discerning choice later down the line. That's what I'm doing anyway. :)

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Here
Oh that would be a drag to wait specifically for it and find it on another carrier. Rumour has it there should be a lot of new Android handsets due out later this year, so if you can settle for a cheapy phone for now then you can make a more discerning choice later down the line. That's what I'm doing anyway. :)

By the looks of it, that is probably what I will do. I have a small phone that my mom got by ordering mistake. I will probably rip it open and use that untill december or sooner hopfully.

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
pre or a tour. i have both but I find myself using the tour more.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'm also looking at other offerings cos i'm getting bore of the iPhone. I think i'll most likely get a Pre when it launches here...hopefully its offered on PAYG and then get an iPod touch.

I probably should've gotten an iPod touch when i bought my mac during the back to school promo thing. Oh well.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
I am surprised no one has said iPhone... you all say it's a great phone :/

From me, a HTC dream or touch :)

Malfoy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
I'm also looking at other offerings cos i'm getting bore of the iPhone. I think i'll most likely get a Pre when it launches here...hopefully its offered on PAYG and then get an iPod touch.

I probably should've gotten an iPod touch when i bought my mac during the back to school promo thing. Oh well.

Wasn't it free with the promo?

he said he's limited to sprint or t mobile. I'm guessing most like myself were assuming he's limiting himself to phones native to them.

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I think the Tmo MyTouch/HTC magic might be a good choice. I am considering that to compliment/take over from my iPhone.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
Rumors are that the HTC Hero is hitting Sprint this fall.

If you can hang on for a few months to see what Sprint is offering then that might work...otherwise the MyTouch3G is supposed to be quite good.

BEWARE: If you opt for a cheap phone as a stop-gap, you will lose your subsidy for the smartphone later (sometimes you can pay full price and keep the subsidy eligibility open for later-if you sign with Sprint in anticipation of the Hero make sure that's the case with them).

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
Here

It is a great phone. Although i sold mine 3 weeks ago :|

I think the Tmo MyTouch/HTC magic might be a good choice. I am considering that to compliment/take over from my iPhone.

Thats what I was going to do but now seeing the Hero, I would rather have that.

Rumors are that the HTC Hero is hitting Sprint this fall.

If you can hang on for a few months to see what Sprint is offering then that might work...otherwise the MyTouch3G is supposed to be quite good.

BEWARE: If you opt for a cheap phone as a stop-gap, you will lose your subsidy for the smartphone later (sometimes you can pay full price and keep the subsidy eligibility open for later-if you sign with Sprint in anticipation of the Hero make sure that's the case with them).

I have a cheap little phone that i will just open a line or put it on pay as you go. Im not planning on getting a new phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.