What phone should I get?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Mexbearpig, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

So I have been without a phone for a while. I was intending to buy a Mytouch 3G on launch. But now looking at upcoming phones, I'm having doubts. So I am looking for advice from you guys. I am limited to Sprint and T-Mobile so keep that in mind. I would like to get an android phone, but am open to suggestion. And I really dont want a Blackberry because i had an old 8100 Pearl, and i wasnt impressed.

Thanks

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

I'm not a huge fan of Blackberry myself but I had a bold and it really wasn't that bad. Storm is something to steer clear of, though, in my opinion and that of a close friend who owns one...

3. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

If it were me (and it is in a way, I am in the deciding stages for phones) I would wait and see what comes out in the next few months. There are a lot of handsets due to come out for the Android platform. HTC Hero looks pretty nifty. My husband has an HTC Magic and I really like it. It's bare-bones compared to what is probably going to roll out but it's still a great piece of tech.

4. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

What carrier is it on?

Actually the HTC Hero was the reason I'm doubting the mytouch, which is Magic. I am willing to just get a cheap phone to last untill *then*, but I don't want to wait 3 months then have the Hero come out on AT&T. And I read somwhere that TMobile will not get it. But Sprint is still possible.
    *By then I mean when the HTC Hero will come to the US.

5. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Oh that would be a drag to wait specifically for it and find it on another carrier. Rumour has it there should be a lot of new Android handsets due out later this year, so if you can settle for a cheapy phone for now then you can make a more discerning choice later down the line. That's what I'm doing anyway. :)

6. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

By the looks of it, that is probably what I will do. I have a small phone that my mom got by ordering mistake. I will probably rip it open and use that untill december or sooner hopfully.

7. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

pre or a tour. i have both but I find myself using the tour more.

8. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'm also looking at other offerings cos i'm getting bore of the iPhone. I think i'll most likely get a Pre when it launches here...hopefully its offered on PAYG and then get an iPod touch.

I probably should've gotten an iPod touch when i bought my mac during the back to school promo thing. Oh well.

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I am surprised no one has said iPhone... you all say it's a great phone :/

From me, a HTC dream or touch :)

10. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

11. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

Wasn't it free with the promo?

he said he's limited to sprint or t mobile. I'm guessing most like myself were assuming he's limiting himself to phones native to them.

12. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I think the Tmo MyTouch/HTC magic might be a good choice. I am considering that to compliment/take over from my iPhone.

13. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Rumors are that the HTC Hero is hitting Sprint this fall.

If you can hang on for a few months to see what Sprint is offering then that might work...otherwise the MyTouch3G is supposed to be quite good.

BEWARE: If you opt for a cheap phone as a stop-gap, you will lose your subsidy for the smartphone later (sometimes you can pay full price and keep the subsidy eligibility open for later-if you sign with Sprint in anticipation of the Hero make sure that's the case with them).

14. Mexbearpig thread starter macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

It is a great phone. Although i sold mine 3 weeks ago :|

Thats what I was going to do but now seeing the Hero, I would rather have that.

I have a cheap little phone that i will just open a line or put it on pay as you go. Im not planning on getting a new phone

15. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

16. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I'm waiting for the Samsung Galaxy myself. Rumors have it pegged for September.