Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
My sister is getting a new phone soon and I'm helping her decide on which one to get. She has a 4S right now and is tired of it and she's currently on Verizon. Out of their current offerings, which would you use for 2 years if you had to? I know it'll be hard for a lot of us to answer as we upgrade when we please but bare with me.

Currently I have it decided between :

Moto X

Galaxy S4

Droid Maxx

LG G2

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Any iPhone! If it's android I would not be able to live with it for two years. Last year I got an iPhone 4 and have close to exactly 1 year left and I am so much happier to have that then any android phone. Sorry I'm an apple fanboy.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I have an s4. No complaints with it. Should easily get me through the next couple of years.
The G2 also should also have pretty good longevity IF LG can keep it updated.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I have an s4. No complaints with it. Should easily get me through the next couple of years.
The G2 also should also have pretty good longevity IF LG can keep it updated.

My sister is a pretty casual user. If it works out of the box that should be good enough. Texting, pinterest and taking pictures and video, apps to keep the kids entertained. Basically what a mom would use a smartphone for.

----------

Any iPhone! If it's android I would not be able to live with it for two years. Last year I got an iPhone 4 and have close to exactly 1 year left and I am so much happier to have that then any android phone. Sorry I'm an apple fanboy.

I know an iPhone will but I'm not sure she's up for another one again. She said she's tired of her 4S.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
I've had my iphone 4 (work device) for for a couple of years and continue to use it, simply because it's a decent phone.

I also own a Moto Razr HD (personal device) which I've had for some time and continue to use, simply because it's a decent phone.

Pick the one you like & go get it.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
My sister is a pretty casual user. If it works out of the box that should be good enough. Texting, pinterest and taking pictures and video, apps to keep the kids entertained. Basically what a mom would use a smartphone for.

----------

I know an iPhone will but I'm not sure she's up for another one again. She said she's tired of her 4S.

Get a 5s

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
The problem with android OEMS is they generally don't support their devices very long. Motorola claims they will support their devices, but who knows. Only apple and googles nexus line seem to be the most reliable. Not sure about windows.

three

Cancelled
Jan 22, 2008
I'd probably lean towards the Nexus 5 if I had to use it for two years. Would be nice to still continue to receive updates to the latest software.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Take her to a shop and let her have a play with a few and see what she likes is the best option.

A Nexus 5 should be on that list as well.

----------

You must of had some cruddy Android based phones if you're happy with the iPhone4's performance.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
My sister is getting a new phone soon and I'm helping her decide on which one to get. She has a 4S right now and is tired of it and she's currently on Verizon. Out of their current offerings, which would you use for 2 years if you had to? I know it'll be hard for a lot of us to answer as we upgrade when we please but bare with me.

Currently I have it decided between :

Moto X

Galaxy S4

Droid Maxx

LG G2

I highly recommend she actually try using a G2 before buying one. The buttons on the back of the phone can really bother some people.
Out of your list, the MotoX is the closest thing to a Nexus device on Verizon, but she may not like the camera.

I would recommend a 5S and not Android in this particular case. She really should see the 5S in person before dismissing getting another iPhone.

CyanLite

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2013
Since the Nexus 5 isn't an option and the Moto X has a very poor camera, I would recommend either the G2 or the HTC One. Both are great phones but if the camera is important then the G2 is much better.

I do agree with some other people, make sure she tries the 5S before dismissing it.

P.S. If the camera isn't very important and you find the quality of the camera on the Moto X "passable" then I HIGHLY recommend it. It truly is an amazing phone.

Stooby Mcdoobie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I'd go with the Moto X. I owned one for a few weeks and it was overall a great experience, which I'm sure is even better now that it has KitKat. It also offers the smallest form factor of the ones you listed, so it should be an easier transition from an iPhone.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
You should add the HTC One and possibly Note 3 to that list.

Of the ones you mentioned, I definitely think the Moto X would be best for right now, but am unsure how well that phone will age in 2 years. The HTC One seems like it will fare better long term, though you'll be taking a hit battery wise.

The Note 3 would be the most future proof, but then you have touchwiz on top that and unsure if she would want a phone that big.

I say go Moto X.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
S4... although I would think outside the box a little here and explore other options if at all possible. I wouldn't be happy with any of these phones for a year, let alone 2.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
If you're using it for 2 years, the LG G2 is the most future proof with those specs. Although the skin is said to be very heavy. I'm not sure how LG are with their updates either. Samsung are proving to be a better option with keeping their devices supported, I mean even the Galaxy S2 I bought my Mum has a Jellybean update.

The galaxy S4 has such a small amount of storage available out of the box though, is she savvy enough to use Micro SD cards?

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Moto X

Galaxy S4

Droid Maxx

LG G2

Out of these four, it's the Galaxy S4 all day.

- The Moto X came out with outdated hardware, so that's out.
- Droid Maxx is an old model. Droid RAZR Maxx HD is the new one
- LG G2: LG is a joke of an OEM. They've already abandoned the optimus G. They probably won't support the G2 longer.

Samsung has the best history of all these OEMs for providing updates, and such. Even the S2 got Jelly Bean.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Of the choices, I'd go for the G2. Screen, camera, battery life are all positives. I think the Verizon version also has wireless charging built in. Very convenient.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The galaxy S4 has such a small amount of storage available out of the box though, is she savvy enough to use Micro SD cards?

Yeah she is. She's not an expert when it comes to technology but she's far from dumb

----------

I will add that software updates aren't a huge deal to most people outside of our forum bubble. As long as the phone does what she needs out of the box.

----------

Out of these four, it's the Galaxy S4 all day.

- The Moto X came out with outdated hardware, so that's out.
- Droid Maxx is an old model. Droid RAZR Maxx HD is the new one
- LG G2: LG is a joke of an OEM. They've already abandoned the optimus G. They probably won't support the G2 longer.

Samsung has the best history of all these OEMs for providing updates, and such. Even the S2 got Jelly Bean.

The X is still one of the smoothest phones out there and the Maxx is the current model. The Razr line got ditched.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
The X is still one of the smoothest phones out there and the Maxx is the current model. The Razr line got ditched.

Even then, I wouldn't touch the X, especially when comparing it to the Maxx and S4. You can pick one up off contract for only $349 online. That isn't a phone you keep for 2 years.

Wasn't aware that the RAZR line got ditched. If that's the current model, that's a great choice also! Battery life is fantastic. I've always wanted a Droid RAZR Maxx on AT&T, but we always get the short end of the stick.

S4 or Maxx. Can't go wrong with either

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana
Even then, I wouldn't touch the X, especially when comparing it to the Maxx and S4. You can pick one up off contract for only $349 online. That isn't a phone you keep for 2 years.

Wasn't aware that the RAZR line got ditched. If that's the current model, that's a great choice also! Battery life is fantastic. I've always wanted a Droid RAZR Maxx on AT&T, but we always get the short end of the stick.

S4 or Maxx. Can't go wrong with either

What does the Maxx have for it that the Moto X doesn't beside the battery? They are the same as far as processors and camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.