Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

learn2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
I just ordered an iPad Pro 11. I’m wondering if I should also get a USBC dongle to go with it. if you plug additional accessories into your iPad Pro, what do you plug in and why?

My expected main uses for the device will be note taking and reading. For reading, I could see maybe connecting external storage with more PDFs perhaps? But my old iPad is only using 70ish GB of its 128 GB capacity so I don’t think I’ll run out of space for a while...

I won’t need to plug in my Apple Pencil, and I already own wireless headphones.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
If you need extra storage you can just get a USB-C SSD from Samsung or SanDisk and plug it in directly. You don't need the dongle/hub unless you also want to connect power and/or another device at the same time.

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Hyperdrive USB C 7 port hub
Hyperdrive hub

IMG_0435.jpeg

learn2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
The question wasn't "what hub is great?"

The question is: If you have a hub, what do you find it useful for?

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
The question wasn't "what hub is great?"

The question is: If you have a hub, what do you find it useful for?

I find it useful for backing up my RAW images shot on travel. I can put the camera's SD card in and also attach my SSD and do a direct copy from the card to the SSD. I can also use it to connect HDMI, an SSD with stored videos, and power in for streaming to a connected monitor or TV.

Reactions: learn2

Davidalan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I find it useful to, charge while using other connections. Transfer of data in and out via various media, and the HDMI for playback to external monitors and TV’s.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Based on your description, I would avoid a hub and get adapter(s) for each particular needs such as external storage, HDMI, or card reader.

USB-C hubs tends to suck battery really fast. Even on laptops.
Be sure to get the ones that supports power delivery charging if you buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.