What portable drive do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ventuss, Feb 26, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

Are Samsung portable drivers any good? I want to buy a new USB 3 portable hard drive and don't know what to get, the Samsung M3 or Western Digital My Passport. What do you recommend?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If its going to be truly portable, i.e., travel with you, then I'd recommend a Lacie Rugged, its probably the most durable portable drive out there.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I'm waiting for delivery ( today) of a 4TB Lacie USB 3 Porsche drive...I know Seagate have had issues, but the price was too good to miss, and it's supposed to be very fast

Attached Files:

4. ventuss, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014

ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't actually need portability, not much. There is a lot of computers here and all of them have SSD drives, so I use external hard drive a lot. I have 500GB of Steam Games (the ones that would not benefit from SSD) that are shared btw my iMac, Macbook Air and Vaio.

I plan on buying a new 1TB USB 3 to share my Steam Library and use the old 500GB to work, I just don't know what to get, there are so many options.. I considered buying an external desktop drive, but I'm happy with 5400rpm drives, I managed to play the last Tomb Raider running on USB2.

Samsung M3 has only five reviews on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Porta...TF8&qid=1393416351&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+m3

WB My Passport has over five thousands
    http://www.amazon.com/Passport-Port...7&sr=1-2&keywords=western+digital+my+passport

Why? Is Samsung bad?

5. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

For an SSD I would trust Samsung (and I am as I expect my 840 EVO to be delivered today) but for a spinning disk I go WD or bust. EVERY spinning drive in my "inventory" (9 active drives) is a WD except the original drives in my Mac, my work-issued Mac or my work-issued Lenovo (making 6 WD drives).

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

7. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Samsung does not make hard drives, so that Samsung likely has either a WD or Seagate drive inside.

Just my personal preference, but I prefer to buy external drives from the same company that made the drive itself (like the WD in your post for example).

Nothing really wrong with the Samsung you linked either though.

Just get whatever is cheapest for you.

9. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Actually, partially true. Samsung did make hard drives - both 3.5" and 2.5" types.

Seagate purchased Samsung's HDD business 2 years ago, lock, stock, and barrel - facilities, engineers, etc.

For awhile, the HDD retained the Samsung name.

As for "just get whatever is cheapest for you", not exactly the best advice for any purchase. Some good deals out there, but not all drives are created equal, nor can they be judged on price alone.

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Are you serious. So you have no recommendation whatsoever for the OP and just posted to nitpick what I wrote?

Read what I said again. I said Samsung does not make hard drives, and that is 100% correct, not partially true. I am aware Seagate bought out Samsung's HDD business and that is why I made the comment. Samsung does not make hard drives.

Again, read my post. OP was looking at two specific drives and my suggestion was either drive was fine and to get whichever is cheapest. I did not say among all drives available in the universe to just buy the cheapest.

11. g4cube macrumors 6502a

Weaselboy, point taken. I should know better.

I agree with you, if the choice is one of the 2, pick the one that has the best warranty and is least expensive.

There are several threads here about portable drives, many within the last several days.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I apologize for jumping on you. :)

13. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I use a Lacie rugged USB3 w/ a 256GB Samsung SSD inside along with a 64GB USB3 Patriot Magnum flash drive.