Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
How does the Macbook manage airflow when closed ? In contrast to the former version, the air vent kind of seems to be blocked when the lid is shut ?!

My current CD 2Ghz Macbook already revs up its fans on light load when I use it in clamshell mode. Will this get even worse ?

patrixl

Suspended
Jun 19, 2009
I was wondering the same thing myself.. with the rubberized bottom that insulates more, and the lack of vents at the back when closed... Yow.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
with the rubberized bottom that insulates more

It's aluminum covered in rubber, and you think that is more insulating than non-metallic plastic?? :eek:

Perhaps there is a gap between the computer and lcd hinge that allows ventilation. The mode of ventilation need not be visible as long as it works. Who knows, maybe there is a smokestack that leads to the top of the LCD lol

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
When you close the Unibody, there's still an air gap around the hinge...it's smaller than when open but still available. Also, as said, the aluminum body is pretty good at conducting heat out of the computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.