What prevents users from reinstalling "free trials"?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by karohan, Mar 12, 2011.

1. karohan macrumors 6502

I have noticed there are some programs out there that offer fully featured free trials for a certain amount of time. What prevents users from reinstalling the program once the trial period is over? If they put something in a preferences file or something, can't that be deleted before reinstalling?

2. mbprouser macrumors member

mbprouser

Some programs even install hidden .plist files or other hidden files so that even if you were to trash the visible ones and reinstall, the trial may not start over. Sure, if you're willing to take the time to find such files, you can essentially beat the system.

3. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Yea it's all about the .plist files. I've thwarted the system a few times by finding and deleting them, but it is kind of annoying to have to keep doing it.

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

So why not just buy the application?

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

Because that way is free...

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

And if enough people steal applications that way the developers will stop making trials available.

7. datmr, Mar 14, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2011

datmr macrumors newbie

1) hono(u)r

2) hidden files

3) one-use or time-limited registration codes i.e. product activation

4) if they really cared they could put copy protection code into the application that would require you to attain the services of a cracker to 'crack' it. Most apps don't go that far for technical reasons or don't want to go that far as it annoys customers.