what printer do you all recommend?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by krossfyter, Nov 9, 2008.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

just need a basic, decent printer. what do you all recommend? im looking at the low end range... 50 to 90bux.

not sure what brands or models you all are diggin for mac.

2. danny_w macrumors 601

I have 2, but use the Brother 2170W the most. It is a basic b/w laser with wireless capability and works great with my Macbook and my wife's iMac. The other one is an HP PhotoSmart 7208 wireless multi-function (inkjet).

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I use a nice $100 Brother. Same model as the guy who posted above me.

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you don't need wireless, the Brother HL-2140 works quite nicely. :)

Consumables are very reasonable for Brother Laser's BTW. ;)

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Yup, I purchased that printer a year ago. The original drum and toner lived thru the numerous high school projects. I still have more 50% left from the last printer diagnostic I did.

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Since all the responses have been for black and white laser printers, is that what are looking for when you say a "...basic, decent printer." or are you interested in a basic color printer (since there certainly are some color inkjets in your price range)?

7. sjohnson2 macrumors newbie

I recommend the Samsung Laser Printer. They are compact, fast & have excellent quality. I purchased one a couple years ago now & love it. There are new models available & worth looking into.
    Cheers .............. Sam

8. phuong macrumors 6502a

printers are all great nowadays. unless you are into quality, professional print, i would pick anything with the lowest price tag.
    i wouldn't be worry about ink/toner replacement either, as the refills are dead cheap.

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Depends.

In general, ink jet supplies are more expensive than laser. Then you have to consider the specific make/model.

For example, HP not only tends to have a higher initial price, the consumables are now being designed to expire. Used up or not, and no longer usable. This can get expensive. This apparently applies to both laser and ink jet supplies.

I've found the Brother Lasers to be an excellent bargain for replacement supplies. Other members have commented that the consumables for Epson and Canon are fairly good in the ink jet range, but I can't comment on them specifically, as I quit using ink jets. Due to supply and quality issues BTW. ;)

10. phuong macrumors 6502a

i agree with you. the consumables you are buying from the shop are usually even more expensive than the the printers.
    however i was talking about 3rd party refills
    in this regard, which brand you have isn't a important anymore as refills are available for every make and type of cartridges.

when you buy a refill package, you get a bottle of toner and a chip. you cut and refill your cartridge as instructed (very easy to do) and you replace the cartridge's chip with the one supplied (again, very easy to do) and voila. it's like new again. i'm telling you this because even though i'm not the most skillful person in the world, the whole process took me only 15 minutes. and even if you don't want to get your hands dirty, you can always easily find someone else to do it for you, professionally, for a minimum price.

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

DIY ink refills turned out to be a disaster for me, as well as 3rd party re-manufactured toner cartridges. These were used in an HP laser, and that was likely part of the problem. AIO units, and the drums hadn't been replaced or installed properly. In the end, I gave up, and went with the Brother HL-2140.

So far, I haven't used 3rd party consumables, but might consider it, as the drum is separate in this one. ;) I'd think it hard to mess up adding toner to a plastic box. :p

No chip to mess with either.:D

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've had pretty good success with Epson printers. You can get a multifunction device (copy/scan/print/fax) for about $100. Go to www.cnet.com and read some reviews. I think the model I have is the 9400f (it does faxes).

With the people recommending lasers, PLEASE check on the toner prices. They're way jacked above the price of ink, and I just don't know how good the low-ball laser printers are. Our very big and expensive B&W printer at work functions properly about half the time (stupid OS 9).

13. nanofrog macrumors G4

In general, when you work out the $/page, lasers have the advantage due to the page quantity before a toner is empty.

For any specific model printer, look at the consumables costs. They will add up to more than the printer long before it dies, no matter the print technology.

Brother does well for consumables costs, BTW. This was a major reason for going with it. :)