What printer do you recommend me to buy for my Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cdwheel, Jun 21, 2009.

1. cdwheel macrumors newbie

Wow, HP printers really suck... they only make me waist my time and money. Is there another brand and models you would recommend me to get for my Macbook? A printer/scanner that works fine, doesn't wait so much ink and it's not too expensive?

Cheers

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What will you actually be using your printer for?

Text only? School papers, etc.
    Color? Pictures, desktop publishing with graphics

A little more information about your requirements would be helpful

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

Funny you say that, as I've always had good luck with HP. My previous printer was a Canon and that caused nothing but probems.

4. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

My HP printer didn't cause me problems with my waist, I think it was all of those beers............:rolleyes:

5. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

Plastic will put weight on you like crazy!

6. CallMeZsaZsa macrumors member

Im wondering about this too.....
    we've always had HP printers and they've been fine.

Im thinking of doing the printer promotion on apple and not sure which to pick. Ours is mainly for school papers, but those also include pictures/graphics for reports, posters etc (not pictures as in photographs)

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Apple Promo Discussion Going on: Here and Here.

With that being said, like it's been stated above, without much discussion of what you are doing and the actual numerical price range it is hard to say. I've owned a lot of HP printers and have only had an error with one faulty wireless connector thingy. Right now I am absolutely loving my Samsung SCX-4500, but if I need to print color, it's back to an HP. Also the Samsung is pricey and not the best value for black and white printer/scanner/copiers; however, it looks the coolest.

8. Mantronix macrumors regular

Brother. Can't go wrong with one. I have a monochrome laser Brother printer I paid $60.00 for. Absolutely love it.

9. cdwheel thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I would like printers similar to HP, all-in-one. The problems that I've had with HP is that I have to buy cartridges very often (also using the draft mode), and there very expensive. And my actual printer keeps printing a "testing" page each time I turn it on, and I've done everything to try to fix the problem, but nothing...

Then, it is printing normally, then an error occurs and starts printing weird code (like little hearts and symbols). Sometimes works fine, sometimes not! Like it has its own thinking going on....

When it's printing, I have to insert page by page, other wise it sucks more than 2 pages at once and it's all a mess.

So I'm not looking for a professional one, I'm only looking for one that does it' job right... kind of like Mac and it's applications.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I personally like the Canon wireless All-In-Ones. Super easy to setup and use and the quality is fantastic. It can use a lot of ink if you're printing photos but what printer doesn't? Also, the scanners now use LED lighting so startup is non-existent.

11. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Whatever you do do not get an Epson DX4400, it is the most horrible piece if junk I've ever had the misfortune of owning. I thought I was being clever as it was free after my last printer rebate from Apple, I now wish I'd spent a little of my own cash and got something much better.

12. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

^^^ I like my Epson Stylus 3200 AIO, and the ink's cheaper than the HP 750 AIO I also have. The HP got some heavy use for a while, and now the scanner arm seems to be stuck, although it still prints.

13. jcpenn macrumors member

14. The Hammer macrumors regular

Check out Kodak. They have a whole campaign organized around how little ink their printers use.

15. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Why all the hate for HP printers? I use 4 of them and they're flawless.

16. MAC~n~Cheese macrumors newbie

We have an HP Photosmart All-in-one (printer/copier/scanner) that was ordered maybe 6 months ago or so with the Apple printer deal. We dont use it a ton, but we haven't had any issues with it. We generally use it for black and white copies, grad school research papers, etc.

17. canes960 macrumors 6502

Dell

of all things Dell has the best printers i have 2 and they work great

18. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

My sister has a Kodak AIO, and she likes it for specifically that reason.

I have two each of Epson and HP printers, including the two AIOs. I'm happy with all four; even though the HP scanner has quit working it got a lot of use over the last few years. Like I said before though, the Epson ink is cheaper. for the models I have.