What printer/scanner works in Lion without extra drivers and processes?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dankohn, Jan 4, 2012.

1. dankohn macrumors newbie

Could you please recommend a Wi-Fi-capable printer/scanner all-in-one that works well with Lion without requiring vendor driver downloads and background processes?

I've used a Canon MX850 for the last few years, but it has died. Canon software works, but it requires download from their site, rather than being built into Lion. Also, the network scanning only works when the Canon IJ Network Selector program is always running in the toolbar. It's also a pain to configure on each Mac. I want a printer that natively supports:

1) Airprint, so I can print from an iPad
    2) Bonjour printer access (so it shows up in Print & Scan Nearby Printers with zero configuration)
    3) Bonjour scanner access (so it shows up in Print & Scan Nearby Scanners with zero configuration)

Given my Airprint requirement, it seems like my printer will be on this list: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

Can you please comment if you can describe the printer drivers and background processes required in Lion with any of: Brother, Canon, Epson, HP, and Lexmark.

With Canon, in addition to Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector (2.8 MB, 32 bit) always running in the background, there is also Canon CMFP Backgrounder (536 kB, 32 bit).

It's 2012, why can't I buy a network printer and scanner for my Mac that requires *no* additional software to be installed?

2. ray648 macrumors regular

I got an HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus back in september. This works as you want it to. It shows up in nearby printers and the driver is downloaded automatically from apple the first time you use it. The scanner shows up in image capture without any background process running. It has wifi and AirPrint. The plus model also comes with a duplex unit so you can print double sided.

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Almost any modern Wi-Fi capable printer should be compatible with Mac.