What printer should I buy for Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maficocelli, Dec 27, 2010.

1. maficocelli macrumors newbie

I have been looking around...and I want a high quality printer with lower ink cost...but I also don't want a printer that has 5-6 different cartridges...Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

2. grahamwright1 macrumors regular

Can you explain why multiple cartridges are a problem, as they allow you to replace just the color that is used-up rather than throwing away an "all-in-one" cartridge where only one ink is depleted?

I use the Epson Artisan 710 which doubles up as a scanner and other than black, I've only replace one Cyan cart since purchasing it.

3. deeddawg, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010

deeddawg macrumors 604

I don't think ownership of a Macbook Pro is particularly relevant; nearly any current printer should work perfectly fine with it.

With no information regarding your needs to work from, I'll make a generic recommendation that you buy a monochrome laser for everyday use and send your photo printing work off to mpix.com If you must have color print capability, get a low end color laser.

With inkjets you might as well just hand your wallet to the printer company. Classic razor/blade marketing setup. Lasers are the way out of that trap; but they don't do home-printed photos well. Even the best inkjets still don't match up to professional lab photo quality though so no loss there except for having to actually plan ahead a little. :) I have no affiliation with MPIX; I just know they're the consumer branch of Miller's, one of the top professional print labs, and have always had fantastic results from them.

4. maficocelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys...I am leaning towards an inkjet (it is what I have used all my life, and would like the freedom of printing a few photos here and there). I think I may be leaning towards the Kodak ESP7250 or the Canon Pixma 5220. I like the idea of saving money on the ink with Kodak in the long run. However, everyone seems to enjoy their Canon printers.

5. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I have to offer another vote for the Canon. I have the Canon Pixma MP250. Talk about cheap, this thing was $40, but it works GREAT. Also its an all-in-one.

However I am looking for a wireless all-in-one so I can do printing AND scanning over the network.

6. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Look at the HP models. Great machines. I have had a few Epsons and just recently had to toss them all three of them actually only around 2 years old. The tubes that go from the cartridge to the head get clogged easy and when that happens you might as well throw it away as the repair costs more than the printer.

HP print heads are the cartridges, so you don't have that type of problem. IMHO I will never buy another Epson printer because of this.

7. Herdfan macrumors 6502

+1 Getting ready to replace a second Epson because of this. Won't buy another one.

I did have good luck with the Canon's. Bought a Pixima because I needed to print about 500 color pages and it was on sale and cheaper than new ink cartridges for the aforementioned Epson. Wore it out printing that document and it was still going strong. Gave it to my M-I-L and she is still using it.

8. kymedic25 macrumors newbie

airport express printing

Ok, I am looking for a good all-in-one printer, don't care if its laser or ink-jet. I am trying to either set it up wirelessly or with my airport express (my canon MF4350 doesn't work with my airport express). I am just looking to print for school and work, no pictures or anything like that. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jason:D

9. vnle macrumors 6502

HP Envy

Works flawlessly with mac products including airprint. There's only 2 cartridges (black & color) that's about 20-25 each.

10. Coolestdude macrumors member

Price per page, the HP printers that use the 940 cartridges are VERY economical.

Take the printers you are considering, figure the price per page per the ink, and compare the features of the printer you need.

I just bought an HP 8500A, which supports Airprint so I can print from my Ipad2 without any add on apps. This printer uses the 940 series cartridges, and is very economical price per page. I think the cartridges last longer then they are rated also. If you don't need airprint or WIFI, get the HP 8000. This is the cheapest per page. If you want WIFI, but don't need airprint, get the 8000 Wireless. At my 500 employee company, we have been throwing away working injets and replacing them with 8000 series HP's due to the cartridge cost savings. We have many color lasers too, but these are cheaper for lower volume use.

11. rrsin macrumors newbie

Do you still like your HP 8500A?

12. onzi macrumors newbie