What "Pro" things have you done so far with your Pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macguy360, Nov 21, 2015.

1. macguy360 macrumors 6502a

Just curious what kind of "Pro" things people have done with their iPad Pros so far.

I haven't purchased one yet, as I currently have an Air 2, but I am wondering what kind of things people have done so far the exceed what you can do on the air?

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

My job works mainly with Windows and MS Excel. I connect my iPad Pro with Remote Desktop for a second display to my work desktop during the weekends or at night. I am very surprised how similar the Excel app on the iPad Pro is to the desktop app. I'm able to set queries, Pivot tables, Macros.etc. I've also split screened Word and Excel, vice-versa.

3. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Not sure I would call this 'Pro', but it is something that cannot be done on any other iPad:

In Split view, left side of the screen - Taking notes for a project on Notability, annotating photos and writing text. The right side of the screen typing this comment/browsing the web on Chrome, and in the background streaming live sports from BT Sports App to an Apple TV4.

So 3 apps all running smooth as butter in 'good sized' Windows and using the Apple pencil to make good quality and fast markups/notes. Personally it is all I want from an iPad Pro. It won't replace my Laptop, won't replace a desktop and it won't replace my iPad 4 (the screen size is a blessing and a curse for portability!) but for the above purpose it is better than any other iPad before it.

4. macguy360 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That is pretty awesome. Sounds like both of you are able to do quite a bit the with new iPads!

5. David58117 macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, I lost the "pro" abilities once I switched from the surface.

Until the iPad Pro gets much better apps, the most "pro" thing I can do is annotate PDFs in split screen.

It's unfortunate that on the iPad, that is a "pro" feature..

6. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Ingest photos from a shoot, post processed quickly, and then uploaded shoot while in the field. Some of my apps need some more functions but overall, the experience was actually pretty good. The larger screen helps with post processing even without an Apple Pencil.

7. Macalway, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015

Macalway macrumors 68000

I use the app (really great app ) BIAS FX, running in the background with forScore in the foreground (in portrait). Both of these apps are very good.

I have yet to use anything else really. Geesh, I just got the thing :D

I was just looking at Cubasis this morning though. I must say, everything looks much better on the larger screen; less cramped.

Are these Pro Apps? I think so :)

8. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

BIAS user here too, awesome powerful set of apps., along with Auria and Mercuriall.

My iPad Air 1 runs them 'ok' bit I do get latency at times :(

Does the Pro run them allot better?

Are using using an interface to increase connectivity? Ie, a Dock? I've read that Focusrite's iTrack Dock has a sliding Lightning connector that will allow the Pro to fit.

9. Macalway, Nov 21, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2015

Macalway macrumors 68000

A lot better? ...Your joking right? :D

Latency is not really an issues on a Air 2 if you use the ultra low mode. I was getting a lot of pops with 'ultra low latency' mode with BIAS FX on an Air 2, which is pretty much gone now.
    But this depends I think on what's in your signal chain, but with the same setups between the two...pop free :D

I'm using a Sonicport VX, which is very good. The VX is cool because I can use one of those $20 5V 2.4A batteries to charge the ipad while i'm using it. Actually, it won't charge with the sceen on, but it drains much slower. It's not an issue really anymore.

I have the iTrack Dock, but it's in storage. Not sure if it will fit. If it does, it's going to be funny looking eah? :D Anyway, it's only landscape with that.

note: I'm not all that trilled with the Dock as it's gets very hot. Now, Focusrite has said this is a charging thing, which I imagine it is. Regardless, it's a bit annoying.

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

My "pro" needs are pretty light compared to some folks; I use a lot of Office and the suite on iOS works great. Did a couple PowerPoint slide decks and quite a bit of writing in word. Background music or PiP video (get on the damn ball, Netflix!!) are great for when I can split my attention more.

I got my Pencil yesterday and can't wait to start using it to take notes in meetings. Not having to carry around my leather notebook with its fraying papers and silly bookmark will make me a happy office drone.

11. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

I drew a mockup for an application I'm developing for users. Pulled out the IPP and showed them, they were happy with the design, but even more impressed with the IPP/Pencil/Keyboard :mad::mad::mad:

12. JonSarge3108 macrumors regular

JonSarge3108

Are you using a conference folder for your iPad Pro ?

13. spooky2k macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your input. I have no doubt that the things you're talking about are possible - you just have to do them differently. What things did you do that you find you cannot do now? I'm a hugely pro user and the iPad Pro is blowing me away.

14. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Is there any technical reason why we can't do this on an iPad Air2 and Mini4? Sure, the Windows would be smaller, and things might run slower, but is there any iOS 9 multitasking feature that is truly Pro only?

15. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

No, just a Smart Cover right now and hopefully the Smart Keyboard soon.

16. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

17. Smeaton1724 macrumors 6502a

Smeaton1724

Couldn't write using an apple pencil so the sketches and notes would either be lower quality or take longer. Additionally I think the screen real estate would be too small to be doing that on a 9.7 screen and in all honesty completely ridiculous on an iPad Mini screen.

Don't get me wrong I like the 9.7 form factor, to me it is the very definition of an iPad. The larger screen really does help with my usage case in my original comment and like I compare to the iPad 4 the same applies to the Air 2, I don't think an Air 2 directly is replaced by a Pro.

18. xterratop macrumors member

I used Adobe Line to create some quick line work with my 54 Stylus for a proposal cover while waiting in the waiting room at the doctor's office. The cover was for an interview to show my design processes. When I got home, I turned on Adobe Photoshop on my desktop and pushed it there to create the proposal cover. Unfortunately, I don't have my Apple Pencil yet which pisses me off and hope Apple gets them in stock soon. Here's the finished product. IMG_0012.PNG B&M_111415.jpg

19. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

Maybe someone here can help me out. I saw an app that works with the pro and pencil. One of its features is that you can scan a page with the camera, it loads the page into the app, and allows you to take notes on the page, in emails, clip from web pages to notate on. I want to use it for school to take notes on pages from math books. Any help would be great. I've searched myself with no results. I don't think it's Paper, any of the word or pages apps. Just not sure. I only saw a video of it. I really appreciate any help!

20. genomez macrumors member

Do you have a link to the video?

21. JonSarge3108 macrumors regular

JonSarge3108

OneNote can take photos using the camera, import PDFs, can send web pages to it. Can't find a way to send emails to it though ?

22. Aibocyrus macrumors 6502

Aibocyrus

I don't. I've been trying to find it everywhere so I can figure out what app it was lol

I'm going to check this out again. Thanks for helping me out.

23. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

iPad "Pro" I do not think it means what you think it means.

24. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Macrumors has never looked better! Even used the pencil to navigate it!!

25. dyn macrumors 68030

Take a look at the OneNote website and you'll find:
    Does require you to set it up which you can do from the OneNote website.