What problems will i have if i dont upgrade to lion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mattg3, Mar 1, 2012.

1. mattg3 macrumors 6502

My Imac is 25 months old and I would rather not upgrade to Lion.Any issues i might find if i dont down the road?I love its performance but of course very few software upgrades have been available lately.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Any reason you don't want to?

If you don't change anything (and if nothing fails), it should continue working as it is now.

3. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

Only problem I have with lion is that damn option in the shut down window asking to open current applications and windows again. Also when you open text edit it will come up with your last document wth lol. I hate all this bubblewrapping Apple did in Lion for people who forget to save it just wastes my time. As far as I know there is no way to turn off the option either :S

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have many buddies still using SL without issues...Of course the time will come when support falls off...Many here say that it is.

I was in my upgrade cycle when Lion was released, so both my MBP and my MBA came with it pre-installed. My iMac was running SL, and I only upgraded it to keep things uniform. If Sl still works for you, then stay with it if you wish, but If it was me, I think I would upgrade.

A clean install is preferable to a write over IMO.

5. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

You can easily turn off the reopen last document function. There is a checkbox in System Preferences -> General. For the shut down issue, there are script hacks out there if you're into that kind of thing.

6. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

I plan to use SL as long as I can. Nobody is twisting my arm to upgrade. ;)

7. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Apple isn't twisting your ARM yet.

8. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

the one in system pref > general is not for shut down only re opening apps with documents. I saw the script hack but honestly can't be bothered. 99% of the time I just put the machine to sleep anyway. The annoying bit is there are two others in my house that use macs and never untick the option and never close their applications so the machine takes a million years to start up because it has to open about 15-20 different applications on start too. Apple may have thought they were bubble wrapping their users by doing this but realistically they just create more downtime for the average user which would result in negative criticism of Apple and perhaps no more purchasing of Apple products.

9. mattg3 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I'm going to stick with Snow Leopard as long as I can. My 07' mini probably wouldn't work well Lion anyway..

11. Bear macrumors G3

The only real issue I can see is if a piece of software (new or update) that you want (or need for some reason) comes along and requires Lion (or later) to use it. Other than that I don't see any real issues.

12. harcosparky macrumors 68020

Yeah unchecking that box in the Shutdown window, that one extra mouse click .... a real problem, ain't it?

I wonder how many are still running System 7 because they were afraid to upgrade to System 8 ? ;)

13. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm not a long time Mac user, but I've been with it since 10.4 - Tiger. The pattern since then is unchanged. The last version of 10.4 was great.... rock solid and polished. Eventually 10.5 got pretty good... but Tiger was just so good, many people didn't upgrade until they had to. Then Leopard (10.5) got really really good... as good as the last Tiger releases. So good that many people are still using 10.5's last version.

Now we are in the 10.6 (SL) to 10.7 (Lion) transition... and 10.6.8 is great. Solid and polished. For me, I will probably not bother with Lion until Mountain Lion is released.... I figure we need to get to 10.7.6 before it is as stable as my SL system is now.

Lion didn't have any more problems, imho, than the previous 1st versions since Tiger.... different problems of course, but the chatter seemed to me to be about the same.

Waiting to see what ML brings though.....

14. Seamaster macrumors 65816

Seamaster

You've got a problem if you're a MobileMe punter who wants to migrate to iCloud. You can't do it on Snow Leopard.

15. pprior macrumors 65816

I've stuck with SL - see no reason for lion and am hating the increasing mobile os look. If new mac pro comes out I'll probably buy one so that will come with Lion but otherwise I'm sticking with SL probably until ML comes out.

16. harcosparky macrumors 68020

17. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Same with my iMac and SL. Why upgrade if one doesn't need to? Or as some might say, "if it ain't broke don't screw with it….".

18. Liquinn Suspended

To have the latest operating system? :p

19. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

Is there a need to keep up with the Jones's???? If one's product works good (without wifi dropping or other problems), why upgrade? It doesn't make sense to me…

20. KingJosh macrumors 6502

KingJosh

You don't know much about design do you.

21. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

If you don't want Lion, don't get it. People who are still running Leopard are starting to see support dropped for some things, and it's only a matter of time until SL starts losing support. Luckily, that day has not come yet. We're only on 10.7.3.... and Apple already wants to release 10.8. Stick with what works until Apple pulls the rug from under us (not likely to happen for awhile)

22. Ccrew macrumors 68020

If it's too much trouble to change then quit whining. It's an easy enough fix. For crissakes coulda been done in the time it took to type that rant.

23. Melcher70 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; ADR6300 Build/GRJ22) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I'm still running Leopard (don't laugh).. still works fine 3 years later. I will be upgrading soon though.

24. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

While I migrated to Lion everyone else in the family stayed with SL and they have no intention to ever upgrade until their macs die and they need new ones.

SL does everything they need so no upgrade is necessary.

Cheers,