What processor speed is this powerbook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Nyy8, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

2. simsaladimbamba

Why does it need an upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard? It runs Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger as of now, unless the seller does delete it.

And why not ask the seller, since the CPU frequency is not discernible?

3. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I'm new to the PowerPC Scene, but wouldn't 10.5 be the best choice since not all browsers for PPC (the few that there are) run on Tiger? Also, isn't leopard a more secure OS overall?

I see what you mean, I just thought maybe some powerbook guru could tell what year it is? (2004,2005, etc.)

4. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

Its a 2003 and no i'm not a guru its just that It came with panther disk which means its either late 03 or early 04

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

According to what I can discern from Mactracker this is either a 1.33 or 1.5Ghz. The earliest it could be would be 2005. That's when the 1.33 came out. The 1.33Ghz came with either a 60 or 80GB hard drive (again according to Mactracker) and OSX 10.3. The 1.5 came with an 80GB hard drive and OSX 10.3.7.

In either case, whether the seller says it NEEDS Leopard or not, I'd install Leopard anyway. I know there is abundant love here for Tiger, but Leopard is more modern/secure and there is still more apps for it than Tiger. Additionally this Mac comes maxed with 2GB ram and on the low end will have more than enough CPU processing power for Leopard.

This looks like a good deal. OP, the max OS is 10.5.8, so don't let the seller fool you. He's saying 10.5.1.

6. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

Even without knowing the specifics about this model, if it's in good working condition, and if you can tolerate/enjoy working with its limitations, it seems to be a good deal.

When I'm finally forced to put my iBook out to pasture, I intend on upgrading rather than start over with another PowerPC Mac, so the PowerBook you referenced is of no interest to me. My only interest in getting a new PowerPC would be a G3 iMac to work on, running both OS 9 and OS X. And it would essentially be a functional decorative piece.

7. neilly93 macrumors member

I see the listing has ended - did you buy it OP?

8. Nyy8 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

Oh wow! Someone must have hopped on it. :(

I just came back from dinner.... You snooze you lose I guess.