What processor would the upcoming tablet have?

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
I have seen so many threads in this forum for upcoming processors in the macbook, imac and mac pro lineups so i was wondering what processor would the tablet have? Taking into consideration that it might have a hybrid iphone/full osx OS what processor would be enough for the tasks that a tablet is supposed to do (web surfing , movie watching - 720p etc.)?

Will it be the same class ARM processor as used in the iphone or a more advanced intel maybe with built in igp (next gen atom or maybe a ultra low voltage arrandale)?

P.S. You can fantasize as much as you want

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
hmmm, in that case, it will have 2 quad i9 processors and 32GB of RAM with an ATI 5970 all crammed into a case that's only 2 cm thick :cool:
LOL dude your fantasy is way overboard. nice one tho.
Just wish that for the next generation macpro

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I have seen so many threads in this forum for upcoming processors in the macbook, imac and mac pro lineups so i was wondering what processor would the tablet have? Taking into consideration that it might have a hybrid iphone/full osx OS what processor would be enough for the tasks that a tablet is supposed to do (web surfing , movie watching - 720p etc.)?

Will it be the same class ARM processor as used in the iphone or a more advanced intel maybe with built in igp (next gen atom or maybe a ultra low voltage arrandale)?

P.S. You can fantasize as much as you want
If it runs iPhone OS - ARM.
If it runs OS X - Intel.

I can't see Jobs ever letting an atom powered mac see the light of day - atom processors really are crap for doing anything more than web, and Jobs has already released his mobile internet device, the iPod touch. So if it runs x86 expect a full processor, probably ULV.

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
The archos 9 with a 9 ich touch screen has a Intel ATOM Z510 1.1 GHz and 1 gb ddr2 400 ram. That is not that great but im assuming the atom is better tan any ARM out there

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Considering Apple removed Atom support in OS X, I highly doubt the upcoming tablet would have an Atom processor.

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
It'll totally be PowerPC, so it runs OS X without being Atom.

What? It's not completely implausible.

Oh fine, it will be an ARM chip of some kind. Some custom kind.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
if you remember a while back, apple purchased a CPU company that can be put into mobiles or even the tablet. maybe we might see that in there?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Dual core 1.6ghz atom with nvidia chipset for hidef playback.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Osx runs very nicely on an atom 1.6 solo. Admitidly they removed the atom from the latest build but they can put it back.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
Singapore
Osx runs very nicely on an atom 1.6 solo. Admitidly they removed the atom from the latest build but they can put it back.
true, it wouldnt be hard to do i guess. just a weeks worth of work or so maybe nothing too hard (im being serious lol).

the atoms seem so.. sluggish though! what about a low powered C2D?

macuserx86

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2006
:eek: are you crazy?!
Surely you meant millimetres not centimetres?
I should have specified that I was being facetious, and simultaneously making a statement about the need for the device to be responsive or its utility will be greatly diminished (as seen in the iPhone and iPhone 3G)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Probably an Intel Core 2 Duo SU9xxx which has TDP of 10W (MBA has 17W C2D SL9xxx). Of course it depends on how big the tablet is, because if it's 7" it probably has an ARM chip instead but +9" can house a Core 2 Duo IMO