What processors to expect and their performance?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arbitrage, Oct 26, 2016.

1. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

Does anyone have a good guesstimate as to which Skylake processors will be in each model of the new rMBP? I'm most interested in what will be in the highest specced 15" and how much CPU improvement for CPU dominated tasks (like generating 1:1 previews in LR for 50MP file) it might have over the current top specced 15" rMBP and how it might compare to my Skylake 4GHz i7 in my 5KiMac(I realize it won't get to that level).

If anyone can point me to the most likely processors and any benchmarks done on them that would be great. I realize all will be revealed tomorrow but I'm trying to gather as much info before the event so that if we can order I can order ASAP if the specs make sense to me and not have to wait to research processors and what not.

2. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

I'm interested in the same information as well. Typically, they have the base model CPU included in the laptop, and they usually offer 1-2 other upgraded CPU's for a cost. I'm also looking for the sweet spot where an upgraded CPU makes sense cost wise (or not.) My very non-scientific reasoning is usually as follows (benchmarks are just numbers for the sake of reasoning and not actuals):

Base Model CPU - Cost $0 - Benchmark of interest 10,000
    Upgraded CPU #1 - $100 - 10,500
    Upgraded CPU #2 - $300 - 11,000

Considering the laptop will cost $2,500, an additional $100 is borderline justifiable for a 5% increase in raw CPU performance (5% of $2,500 = $125). A 10% increase (10% of $2,500 = $250) is arguably less justifiable for $300. That's the weird method to my madness. I'm expecting similar cost to performance improvement ratio as my example.

3. leman macrumors 604

Most likely:

6770HQ entry model
    6870HQ updated model
    6970HQ optional

As to the actual benchmarks, its everyone's guess. I expect the similar-tier CPUs to be around 5-10% faster than the Haswell. The iGPU will be much faster though.

4. Foss macrumors 6502

Foss

5. leman macrumors 604

Yep, those CPUs are very elusive. Nobody really uses them, except I think one or two gaming laptops(?). One factor for that might be their ridiculous price, but I also suspect that Intel had some serious yield issues. Maybe Apple will surprise us with something unexpected.