What program can playback HVDVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rawdawg, Jun 21, 2009.

1. rawdawg macrumors 6502

I'm very surprised all my searches haven't found an answer to this. Though I don't do HD DVD or BluRay or anything I'm sure a lot of people do and this had to of come up.

I'm a videographer. Recently I shot something and I requested a DVD copy for my reel. They sent me a HVDVD which at first I didn't know what it was. There is a HVDVD_TS folder and it appears to be a HD DVD but I can't find any info as to what it is: HD-DVD, BluRay, etc....

I tried opening in many different programs, the only one that remotely works is VLC but there is loud buzzing in the background. I have a brand-spanking new MBP 17" (w/512 VRAM) so I know my computer is up to the task.

I need to find a way to get this into an editing friendly format but would be happy to just be able to play since I can always use Snapz to record the screen.

What program can open this and is there one that could also save it into another format? thanks

2. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

Can seriously no one help me here!? I've asked on many different forums and this is something I really need done.

3. rawdawg thread starter macrumors 6502

well it sorta helps, but I'm just really grateful that SOMEBODY responded. :) Thank you ottawaguy!

The first link I had seen before. The second describes how to make a HD DVD on a normal DVD 4.7Gb disk using DVDSP, something I was aware of but never tried before. However it doesn't explain how to play them back. Oddly it does say "I find encoding high definition DVDs to be a liberating experience. The quality is ridiculously good and it plays back beautifully on modern Macs. So for anyone operating in a Mac environment this is great way to show people your work." which is a blatant lie to my knowledge and experience.

Regarding the first link, the HD DVD I have must have been burned with a normal red laser, because VLC does in fact play it. I have to manually drag the individual evo file into the player. But there is a loud buzzing in the background. So it's obvious VLC was not intended to playback that format.

Then what the H*LL can!?! If DVDSP can burn them why is there NO program that can play them?!?!

Does anyone have any other advice for me? I've wasted so much time trying to figure this out.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No need to get worked up. HD-DVD was a little-used format that is now dead. Your problems with HD-DVD are uphill from here.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I beg to differ. I can still buy hundreds of unopened movies and new players, and as long as my three players still work, HD DVD is the only thing I'll be buying.

6. BobZune macrumors 6502a

Have you copied the files to the hard drive and tried playing from there? Same result? Try ffmpeg if you haven't tried it yet.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Get 'em while you can.